FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyway of editing to a audio visual display in the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Anyway of editing to a audio visual display in the timeline?
on May 10, 2011 at 3:28:19 pm

Hi,

This has bugged me for a while now. Used to pulling in a music file clip into the timetime to edit as editing in the viewer doesn't then allow you to drag and drop the clip into the timeline. As far as I have been able to figure out.

However, editing in the timeline doesn't allow me to edit using the nice large audio visual display in the viewer. I know I can add this type of function directly to the clip in the timeline, but it's not the same.

Any ideas?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Anyway of editing to a audio visual display in the timeline?
on May 10, 2011 at 3:33:33 pm

Double Click the file in the browser.
Make your in/out points.
Grab the Hand icon to drag into Sequence.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2011 at 3:38:59 pm

Are you saying you need a large waveform display for editing the audio? You have 2 options-

1) Modify the appearance of the timeline. You can shrink the video tracks by dragging the horizontal double bar that separates the video and audio tracks. Drag it up to expose more room in the audio tracks pane. Then move your cursor to the line that separates the audio tracks from each other on the left side by the track selection buttons. Look for the cursor to change to the double bar/double arrow icon, and you can click and drag to resize the audio tracks as needed. Then turn on audio waveforms in the timeline options popup button( little right pointy triangle next to the track scale buttons). I have a window preset that I use for audio work.

2) Edit in soundtrack. Done.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on May 10, 2011 at 3:43:58 pm

Thanks Matt.

I also just discovered that if you set an 'in' point, although you cannot drag the media to the timeline in the same way as you can a visual clip, you can drag the clip from the browser and it will keep the 'in' point.

Happy days.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 10, 2011 at 3:54:44 pm

[Olly Lawer] "I also just discovered that if you set an 'in' point, although you cannot drag the media to the timeline in the same way as you can a visual clip, you can drag the clip from the browser and it will keep the 'in' point.
"

Olly,

You absolutely can drag audio clips with in and out points from the viewer to the timeline. Look up at the top of the viewer at the little hand over the arrow, grab it and drag that to the timeline.

BTW, that same little icon is available with many filters throughout FCP, including the 3-way CC filter, and it allows you to quickly drag and drop filters to other clips as well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2011 at 4:01:19 pm

David- I feel the need to replace my avatar! Its like wearing the same shirt to the same party. Although you are smiling in yours, whilst I am hiding the curse words I'm mouthing to my Final Cut Server installation...

Cheers!

matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 10, 2011 at 4:14:03 pm

[Matt Gerard] "David- I feel the need to replace my avatar! Its like wearing the same shirt to the same party. Although you are smiling in yours, whilst I am hiding the curse words I'm mouthing to my Final Cut Server installation..."

I have a friend who's constantly urging me to lose the hand on the chin. Maybe the whole "thinking man," motif needs to go?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2011 at 3:42:22 pm

Doh!!! Now I get what you were asking...

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on May 10, 2011 at 3:45:18 pm

For future reference, where is the Hand icon?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2011 at 3:50:36 pm

To the right of the level and pan sliders in the browser window when an audio clip is loaded. little speaker icon with a hand. drag that icon to the timeline to drop that into the timeline.

matt

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on May 10, 2011 at 3:59:10 pm

Sorted! Brilliant.

Thank you!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 10, 2011 at 4:06:43 pm

[Matt Gerard] "little speaker icon with a hand. drag that icon to the timeline to drop that into the timeline.
"

What version are you using? I have an arrow and a hand here.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2011 at 4:11:50 pm

7.0.3, but I have downgraded my ProKit install to 5.6 due to some DVDSP issues. Looonnnggg story. So, that might be it.

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]