FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex martinez
Compression
on May 9, 2011 at 7:57:06 pm

I have a 35 min video that i recorded with my canon 60d... I finished the editing in final cut... Now i want to export it to a dvd in high definition ..I started compression at 11:00pm last night and its still compreesing ( its been over 12 hours) .. Is this "normal"... The codec i used for compression was H.264 10.Mbps...Can anyone please assist me .... Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Compression
on May 9, 2011 at 8:41:56 pm

Well, the only DVD format that is HD compatible is BluRay. The "HD DVD" format lost that battle. Yet, there are still those settings in Compressor. Only Toshiba HD DVD players, and Macs, play back HD DVDs.

How long was your project?

To encode to BluRay, you will need a BluRay drive, and you can use SHARE from FCP...or you need something like Toast 10.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 8:45:52 pm

THANKS SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING.. MY PROJECT IS 35 MIN. LONG.. I WANT TO ENCODE TO A REGULAR DVD-R. IS IT NORMAL THAT IT TAKES THIS LONG ??? THANKS AGAIN

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 9:05:49 pm

To encode a regular DVD, you use one of the DVD HIGH QUALITY or FAST ENCODE presets. Take that long? It might. Did you render everything first, then SEND TO COMPRESSOR? Or not render before you did that? What EXACT steps did you take to get from FCP to Compressor.

Typically what I do is Render, export a QT movie, REFERENCE quicktime, meaning I don't check the SELF CONTAINED box. Then I take that into Compressor, choose the preset, and then hit SUBMIT.

Shane

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 9:09:08 pm

THANKS AGAIN YOUR GREAT HELP... WHAT I DID WAS FIRST WAS IMORT THE FOOTAGE STRAIGT FROM THE CAMERA, EDIT IT, RENDERED EVERYTHNING, THEN EXPORT TO COMPRESSOR SET THE CODEC I MENTIONED EARLIER,SET THE DESTINATION , AND THEN SUBMIT...

FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW IF I DID ANYTHING WRONG...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 10:18:30 pm

You didn't convert to an editing codec. You have a processor intensive shooting and delivery codec (H.264) that can be a toll on computer processors. You must convert Canon footage to an editing format before editing. I have a tutorial on that here: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

What to do now? Let it finish. Stopping now means wasted time. Unless it keeps going and taking forever. Then I'd export a self contained movie...try again. Shouldn't take that long really.

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 9, 2011 at 10:36:26 pm

Compressing from HD material to a SD DVD can take a long time on older machines.
I have seen 15 hour renders doing this.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 9, 2011 at 10:45:43 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Compressing from HD material to a SD DVD can take a long time on older machines.
I have seen 15 hour renders doing this."

Especially if you do it right from the timeline. Exporting a self contained file takes just a minute and will save you hours of compression time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 10:45:23 pm

THANKS AGAIN ... WHAT DOES EXPORTING A SELF CONTAINED MOVIE DO ??
ALSO, IM WATCHING YOUR TUTORIAL, VERY INFORMATIVE ..

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 9, 2011 at 10:54:03 pm

[alex martinez] "WHAT DOES EXPORTING A SELF CONTAINED MOVIE DO ??"

Please, use of all caps is forbidden here on the Cow and throughout the known universe.

A self contained file is an exact duplicate of your timeline in a single QT file without losing a generation. To do it you go to Export>>QT Movie and do not check re-render all frames and do check make self contained.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 10, 2011 at 12:19:32 pm

Self-contained or Ref file make no dif.
After exported file, drop that file into Episode or Compressor or your compression software fo choice to create the SD DVD files - this can take hours to compress @ high-quality settings.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 10, 2011 at 12:32:55 pm

Making a self contained file exported from you sequence is when you:

1. Are taking that file OFF the machine to be worked on another.
2. Archiving Master.

Making a ref file:

1. Saves hard drive space.
2. Links back to original material.
3. Makes a temp file to create something else.
4. Deleted when done with it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 10, 2011 at 3:47:01 pm

Chris,

There is a good reason I always suggest self contained and never suggest reference files, and I suggest you consider doing the same. There isn't a single new FCP user who hasn't been burned by a QT reference file gone bad, and as advisors here who can save their asses with the flick of a pen (okay, a few key strokes), it is our duty to save their asses with preventative medicine before there's a problem whenever possible.

Hard drives storage is incredibly cheap, but losing one client because you unwittingly relied on an archived reference file can cost someone their entire career. So, argue with me if you want, but I'd rather advise people to waste a few extra gigabytes in lieu of losing a career any day.

Does that make sense to you?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]