FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing .mxf to fcp from HD - possible to recreate folder layout? or conversion the way to go?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean miller
Importing .mxf to fcp from HD - possible to recreate folder layout? or conversion the way to go?
on May 9, 2011 at 3:41:40 pm

I've been given a bunch of .mxf files on a HD. Log and transfer doesn't seem to be working, i'm assuming the directories might not be laid out in the right way (see pic : http://imgur.com/y54BZ ) - is it possible to recreate the directories so that FCP can import correctly? I thought about converting them, but having installed the quicktime plugin, although I can drag and drop into FCP - it only plays the first 10% or so (i know via playing them back in VLC)

Return to posts index

Chris Morlang
Re: Importing .mxf to fcp from HD - possible to recreate folder layout? or conversion the way to go?
on May 9, 2011 at 3:50:28 pm

You can't just drag and drop .MXF into FCP it is not fully supported you will have to convert it first. I use Cannon's XF Utilities to import my stuff since it came with my camera, if you don't have the software convert it to another format first

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing .mxf to fcp from HD - possible to recreate folder layout? or conversion the way to go?
on May 9, 2011 at 5:05:51 pm

What camera was used to shoot this? I'll wager it was shot with the Canon 305 or 105 camera, since this isn't a Panasonic P2 MXF structure. For this you need to download the Canon Log and Transfer plugin (available on their site...you are going to have to dig for it...it also comes on a disk with the camera)...install that plugin. Then use Log and Transfer. I have a tutorial on that:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

sean miller
on May 9, 2011 at 8:04:42 pm

cheers guys, yeah it was a canon camera - not mine though, i was just given the HD. At the moment I've left pavtube hd to convert all the footage into a .mov- last resort stuff. Going to have to try and dig for this plugin now.....

Return to posts index

sean miller
on May 9, 2011 at 8:29:46 pm

cheers guys, Canon's site is god damn awful to find anything. Anyone got a clue?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 8:35:39 pm

Well, googling "Canon XF305 log and transfer plugin" got me:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0040354.asp?model=

Shane

Return to posts index

sean miller
on May 9, 2011 at 8:46:26 pm

I am an idiot. i was on that page but didn't notice the download link. cheers man

Return to posts index

John Kirkby
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:47:13 am

Hi Guys! having a similar problem. I shot some stuff on the Canon 305, and i didn't copy the full folder structure from the card. I need to cut the stuff on FCP which doesn't understand MXF files, I just copied over the clips.(stupid, i know for next time!). Now, i'm assuming i have to convert these files. What is the best free conversion software to use?

Thanks

J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:17:23 am

[John Kirkby] "What is the best free conversion software to use?
"

Sorry, there is no "free" in this case. The only options for dealing with MXF files natively are Raylight, Calibrated and MXF4 Mac. Personally I like MXF4Mac best, as it has the most options. But, it is also the most expensive. Calibrated it nice and easy, and not so much. But not free.

Shane

Return to posts index

Emily Goods
on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:52:55 am

Directly importing MXF files to Final Cut is a little difficult because MXF file is incompatible with Final Cut. It will be better to choose a video converter to convert MXF to Final Cut. Here is a detailed guide for convenience: http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-to-import-mxf-to-fcp.html Hope it can be helpful. Good Luck.

Return to posts index

joshua nicole
on Dec 1, 2012 at 10:22:10 am

Find UFUSoft MXF Converter for Mac in Forum, test and get it, simple to use, output prores 422 for fcp. you can have a try.

http://www.ufusoft.com/mxf-converter-for-mac/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]