FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro for FinalCut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kryštof Jankovec
MacBook Pro for FinalCut
on May 8, 2011 at 10:26:54 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope Im writing to the correct forum... I have one simple question: Do you think that the MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.0GHz quad / 4GB / 500GB / IntelHD / AMD6490M 256MB would be sufficient for video editing on Final Cut Pro and Premiere CS5? How sufficient?
Im also thinking of this alternative:
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66G / 4G / 500G / GFGT330M
How would the hardware handle large projects (lets say 40hours of material max) in 1080p, AVCHD compresssion?
Thank you very much for any advice.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: MacBook Pro for FinalCut
on May 8, 2011 at 10:33:52 pm

You need an external Drive/raid setup to edit video on a laptop.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Kryštof Jankovec
on May 8, 2011 at 10:40:05 pm

And a 7200rpm hdd connected via USB 2.0 would be sufficient?
And otherwise, how would the confuguration stand?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 8, 2011 at 10:41:26 pm

Absolutely NOT. You do not edit off USB.
FW400 at a minimum.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on May 9, 2011 at 2:19:37 am

MacBook Pro 17'' has the advantage of having an eSata interface, not only it it faster than FW 800, but it gives you an extra connection option (you'd need to be able to connect your media drive, your camera,
and possibly another external drive for media manipulation).

You'll se pretty soon realise that your needs might exceed the set up you currently think is adequate.

Just something to think about.

Mio

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 4:27:27 am

>MacBook Pro 17'' has the advantage of having an eSata interface

Err ... no it doesn't Mio. Think maybe you mean the 17" has an ExpressCard/34 port which can be used to add your choice or 3rd party eSATA adaptor, I/O device etc.

Kryštof, the very latest 15" MBP with the Thunderbolt port will be an FCP workhorse. Yes, as noted you'll absolutely need to add fast external storage, and no, USB 2 is not good enough. Via a future Thunderbolt adaptor you should be able to add eSATA drives and/or maybe USB 3 which will be ok ... or go with Thunderbolt native storage when available. In the meantime you'll need FW800 storage. These same new laptops may not be quick as amazing as they otherwise might with Adobe Premiere Pro though, as they don't have the supported NVidia graphics chips that are needed to maximise the potential of Adobe's Mercury Engine.

The older 15" MBP is (IMHO) too limited to consider. Lacks any meaningful expansion options for good fast external storage (you'll be limited to FW800) and similarly little option for adding proper external video monitoring, I/O etc. If you can get a previous generation 17" MBP with the ExpressCard/34 port then that would be an option worth considering.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Kryštof Jankovec
on May 9, 2011 at 5:49:29 am

Thanks for the advice, Andy:-).
So you think the MacBook would handle even large projects in FCP fine?
And why not premiere? Is it that much more demanding? Because FCP doesnt support hardware GPU accelaration at all (except for Motion and Color).
Will upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB make a big difference on this system?
Again, thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 6:23:55 am

New MacBook Pro ... with a good fast and capacious storage array attached, absolutely. Premiere ... yes that will work beautifully on one of these lovely new MacBook Pros too, the only caveat there is that the AMD chipset in the new laptops will not offer you any direct GPU benefit with Premiere. The Mercury Playback Engine will still perform really really well of course, but in software only mode. And yes, I'd certainly recommend going with 8GB RAM instead of 4GB to get the best out of the new hardware. Although FCP is still currently mired in its slow code, its set for a speedy revision that may be suitable for your workflows, due for a release next month ... and even if not suitable for you, other apps will certainly want to tale advantage of it.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 9, 2011 at 9:06:45 am

a blog article on teh Mercury Playback Engine for the Mac.

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2011/03/premiere-pro-on-a-mac-%E2%80%...

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 9:27:37 am

And here's another ... is there more of these since Apple started these latest releases without Nvidia chipsets?
http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2011/03/adobes-mercury-playback-engine-...

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on May 9, 2011 at 6:40:14 am

Yes Andy, I meant ExpressCard/34 slot (for connecting eSata drives.

Thunderbolt is here but why limit yourself to new Thunderbolt equipped externals,
and all that daisy chaining...

So, why old MacBook Pro 17", when he can have new one?

Mio

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 6:51:53 am

Hey Mio
Kryštof specifically asked about the new 15" MBP's and the older 15" MBP ... not the 17" models. The brand new 15" is Thunderbolt equipped but has no ExpressCard/34 port, the older 15" model that he mentioned has neither Thunderbolt nor ExpressCard/34 (ie its a bit lame, expansion wise). I recommended the new 15" Thunderbolt MBP in my post and recommended against the older 15" ... but suggested an older 17" MBP as an option that could be considered as it does have the ExpressCard/34 port that the 15" lacks.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on May 9, 2011 at 8:27:11 am

I know what you said, but when you already mentioned 17", why old one ??
why not current one?
(especially after you were talking about Thunderbolt).

It's only $300 between 17" and higher specs 15" model.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 8:56:02 am

Hey Mio
It's not a big mystery and I've stated as plainly as I can. I'll try one more time but if you still don't get it after that then we're going to have to chalk it up to "lost in translation. Here goes again. The poster asked for recommendations regarding a choice between new 15" and old 15" ... I recommended new (for Thunderbolt), and counseled against old because of lack of ExpressCard/34. I also suggested an older 17" might be considered because it does have ExpressCard/34. The new 17" is not being discussed in this thread by anyone except you.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on May 9, 2011 at 10:03:53 am

Well, my logic is to give to a person a bit wider answer, more info,
more options, since it is obvious that Kryštof is not an experienced
FCP user ("7200rpm hdd connected via USB 2.0 would be sufficient?").

If I was on Kryštof's place, I'd hate to make a purchase only to discover that I've had other options,
especially like this one ($300 extra for bigger screen and luxury of ExpressCard/34 slot).

When I come across post like this I don't want to feed information on a straw, just tell him everything
you might think can be useful for someone in his position.

Obviously, if he's not aware of 'editing via USB issue', then he's definitely not aware of advantages
having an ExpressCard/34 slot.

Mio

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 9, 2011 at 10:21:55 am

>When I come across post like this I don't want to feed information on a straw, just tell him everything
you might think can be useful for someone in his position.

Good for you Mio, thats to be applauded for sure. I think perhaps if that had been more clear as the advice you were offering in your first post we probably wouldn't have got sidetracked :-)
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]