FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red "Media Off-Line" image on thumbnail

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
Red "Media Off-Line" image on thumbnail
on May 8, 2011 at 12:03:28 pm

I have a FCP 7 project I'm beginning to edit and have couple of interview clips with an interesting phenomena.

The clips were recorded on an HD camera as AVCHD. I used "log and transfer" to import the material and after doing so placed the two clips in a new bin. I added a thumbnail of the image for ID purposes.

Now sometime after that and after I did the same procedure on other interview clips ALL the thumbnails for these two particular interviews turned to the red marked image/icon "Media Offline". Yet- in the "viewer" window (raw material) I can see/hear and play the material (with no "render" lines appearing above the clip). This red M.O. thumbnail also appears on the Timeline on the video image.

Additionally, I discovered that when I mark an "in" or an "out" point on that raw material the image re-appears in the thumbnail and everything "seems" fine.

Any idea what's going on? I admit that I am still learning FCP, even though this is the second major documentary I'm editing with the program. I have lost and had to reconnect media before (the red slash line has appeared in the icon in the bin for the clip I lost and had to reconnect) and I know about rendering... neither case seems to apply in this situation.

Any suggestions?

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: d "Media Off-Line" image on thumbnail
on May 8, 2011 at 3:55:51 pm

Seems like a thumbnail caching issue.
Start with trashing your fcp prefs/cache files.
Google fcp preference manager. Its free.
If its a timeline issue, then copy paste your edit in a new sequence with same settings.

Return to posts index

David Lewis
Re: d "Media Off-Line" image on thumbnail
on May 8, 2011 at 4:24:31 pm

Paul:

Thanks for the information. I'll try it when I get back to my edit station in a couple of days... it really is weird. I was able to make edits etc. but simply once I cleared the in/out on the viewer clip... the thumbnail went away.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
Re: Red "Media Off-Line" image on thumbnail
on May 8, 2011 at 11:54:01 pm

David,

This is a fairly common issue. It's actually not really problem, just an annoyance - the files are really online and available, it's just that Final Cut is being tricked by the Thumbnail Cache. The fastest way to fix this is to force Final Cut Pro to rebuild the thumbnails. Search for a folder named “Thumbnail Cache Files” with your spotlight and move it to the Trash. When you next open the project, Final Cut Pro will rebuild the thumbnails.

Richard Keating
Editor, Co-Creator of ScreenLight
"Centralized Video Project Collaboration"
http://www.screenlight.tv
Blog: blog.screenlight.tv

Return to posts index

Andrew Trigg
on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:54:03 am

Great tip! I've had problems with this repeatedly and it's great to have a quick and easy solution. Thanks a mill. Andrew

Return to posts index

Andrew Trigg
on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:58:53 am

Great tip Richard! I've had problems with this repeatedly and it's great to have a quick and easy solution. Thanks a mill. Andrew

Return to posts index

ethan reid
on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:17:49 pm

I just stumbled upon your fix for offline media Richard. This always bugged me too, but your solution worked a treat. Many thanks for the support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]