FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interacting with Clones

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jassim Farukhi
Interacting with Clones
on May 8, 2011 at 8:21:07 am

Hello FCP Community!

I'm new to the gang but am steadily learning how to "do things". However, I can't do the "cool" things yet...

I've been trying to create clones of myself. I have been able to successfully "split" the screen and create 2 or more clones however I've noticed that youtube people such as FreddieW and Julian Smith have been able to interact and even "touch" their clones. I however can't seem to cross my "crop" line without having a limb get cut off.

Here are some examples of what I'd like to be able to do:

Julan Smith:

If you notice he's able to arm wrestle with himself. How would I be able to do that? I only have Final Cut Studio and I do not own After if there is a FCS solution that would be great.

Another example is FreddieW, fast forward to 1:30 and you'll see he knocks himself out.

Thank you guys and I appreciate your time and help!

Return to posts index

Stephan Walfridsson
Re: Interacting with Clones
on May 9, 2011 at 7:37:34 am

What you need to do to create those kind of effects is called rotoscoping, where you manually create a mask to cut out your foreground object. Final cut is very limited in its rotoscoping capabilities, but you can do a simple mask by applying an Eight-Point garbage matte to your foreground clip and then adjusting the points to the shape you need. You then have to manually adjust and keyframe the shape as the object moves.
To create high quality masks, with very complex shapes, you can use Motion which is included in Final Cut Studio. After Effects would be an even better tool for creating this kind of advanced effects, but Motion will do fine.

Another method is Keying where you place the forground object infront of a colored background (usually green, aka greenscreen). This automates the creation of the mask but rotoscoping is often needed to perfect it.

There are plenty of tutorials if you google. And of course head over to the Motion forum here on the Cow.

(Tip: You don't need to keyframe every frame. Put as few keyframes as possible and let the computer do the frames in between.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved