FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing, Relinking and Names Changing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Fraun Petri
Syncing, Relinking and Names Changing
on May 5, 2011 at 11:42:39 pm

Hey all,

Here is a problem I'm facing which I haven't seen before. I've done searches but been unable to find the exact reason for the issue and not known how to solve it.

Starting a feature shooting on XDCAM EX cards. Cards are being copied with Shotput Pro by DIT on set and .mp4 files are imported into final cut pro natively with the cinemon plugin.

Audio is being recorded separately and imported as .wav files.

The files are then put into a timeline which corresponds to each card and the picture and audio are placed in sync in the timeline.

The files are then linked to each other in the timeline and then dragged into a new folder corresponding to the correct scene. They are then renamed with a _sync at the end of them.

The issue happening is that going from one computer to another and relinking the files is proving problematic. Upon the first relink on my main system I got the dreaded frame rate mismatch and in and out point mismatch error to the original media.

I believe this is due to the incorrect easy setup format for the DIT system which was importing the audio initially. It has now been resolved however now the files in the sync sequences are changing names. The audio is no longer the file name with .wav but instead is taking on the name of the picture file.

Is this an inherent problem with final cut in the way I'm choosing to have the files put into sync? I'm trying to keep the sequence as separate files so that I can alter the sync if something is out for any reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Fraunpetri

Return to posts index

Fraun Petri
Re: Syncing, Relinking and Names Changing
on May 12, 2011 at 10:24:52 pm

For any who deal with the same situation - I found the solution to the issue.

By linking the picture and audio in the timeline and dragging the file to a bin final cut was creating the association between these two files and when another system would open up the sequence it would view the files in the sequence as this file now in a bin rather than as separate picture and audio. It however would not have all of the correct information so when it was relinked it would oftentimes rename the clip in the timeline to whatever was relinked first so at times the clips would be named after the .wav file at other times the renamed picture file.

As far as the audio rate issue, like many before me, a system was not created with the proper easy setup and therefore was relinking with a different frame rate and throwing things out of sync.

Here is the only question I still have. If the first 4 days of production the audio was imported at the incorrect frame rate but the clips have been put into sync with the new "adjusted" in and out points, is there going to be an issue when we do exports for the sound department later? It's only 4 days worth of dailies to resync, but if I don't have to do the work, I'd rather not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Fraunpetri

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]