FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlacing Mystery (possibly need reverse telecine)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Maysilles
Interlacing Mystery (possibly need reverse telecine)
on May 5, 2011 at 4:54:15 pm

This isn't a specifically FCP issue, but I figured this would be the best place to ask for help.

I've got a QT file with some extreme comb/interlacing issues, and none of my normal solutions are working.

Here's the sub-optimal way this file came to be: 16mm (24fps) -> Digibeta (grrr) (29.97fps) -> Avid MC 2.8 -> QT 10 bit uncompressed ->FCP 6.0.5 to cut out a 2 minute bit -> QT Apple Pro Res 422 HQ

I do not have the original project files for this or the 10 bit uncompressed file. All I have is the last generation, the 2min bit I cut out. Great, right?

Here are the tools I have at my disposal. I cannot afford to purchase anything.

FCP 6.0.5, Compressor, Cinema Tools, MPEG Streamclip, QT Pro, After Effects. I've read things about hardware cards and various different software programs, but if it ain't free and I don't already have it, it's out of the question for me right now.

What I've tried so far:

QT Pro Export with Deinterlace: doesn't fix it

FCP export with QT Conversion with Deinterlace: doesn't fix it

MPEG Streamclip export with Deinterlace: doesn't fix it

FCP Deinterlace filter: technically fixed it as the combs go away on each individual frame, but on playback caused this bizarre trippy wave effect, especially on camera movements

Compressor all three deinterlace options: mitigate the issue somewhat but don't really solve it. Combs still visible.

Compressor anti-aliasing: solved some other pixelation problems inherent in crappy 5th generation exports, but did not solve the combs (as to be expected, since that's not the function of anti-aliasing)

So that's most of what I've tried. I am guessing the next step is to try some sort of reverse telecine process.

I vaguely experimented with a couple of things in Cinema Tools and the FCP reverse telecine, but nothing worked and I went about it in an unscientific manner so I can't really tell you what I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never had to navigate reverse telecine before and this file isn't following any typical I-I-I-P-P patterns from what I can tell. I'm not even sure reverse telecine is the solution I need.

If this post is miscategorized and I need to move it just let me know.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Interlacing Mystery (possibly need reverse telecine)
on May 5, 2011 at 5:06:24 pm

Since you're not precisely sure of what happened in this long, tortuous journey, I'd suspect that the 3:2 pulldown was never removed, and that if it was re-cut, the pulldown pattern -- not the 3:2 pulldown cadence -- got messed up along the line. I bet they didn't scrupulously cut every shot on the A frame.

I think you'd have to reverse telecine INDIVIDUAL SHOTS, reassemble in a 23.976 (aka 23.98) FCP edit timeline, and then deliver the project as necessary

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emily Maysilles
Re: Interlacing Mystery (possibly need reverse telecine)
on May 5, 2011 at 7:34:02 pm

Thank you so much for your reply David.

You are most likely right about the pulldown pattern getting messed up. I can say for certainty that the cuts were not made on the A frame because I myself was the idiot editor. I cut the scene over a year ago when I barely had a grasp on what A frames and pulldown cadences meant. Now that I'm older and wiser, I'm definitely kicking myself.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the dailies anymore without more trouble than this is probably worth. Thankfully there is no professional pressure to deliver this scene. I was going to use it for showcase purposes, but I think I may reconsider.

Looks like I may have to cut my losses, learn a lesson or two, and move forward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]