FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Monitor + Spyder 3 Elite + Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Miller
New Monitor + Spyder 3 Elite + Final Cut Pro?
on May 5, 2011 at 4:04:19 pm

Hi all,

I've been editing with a 2010 Macbook Pro (15 inch Matte Screen) hooked up to an Asus 236H 24" monitor. I adopted this setup initially because my work entailed me being mobile a lot and this was my at home solution.

But, I've been craving a better external monitor and am about to own a HP ZR24W.

Of course, in typical fashion, buying a new monitor has got me looking at other gadgets, namely the Spyder 3 Elite (4.0 Software edition). Which costs $187 at Amazon.

I am wondering if I need to to calibrate my macbook pro monitor to the new HP monitor...and also if it will just improve the color accuracy of the monitor in general. Or if this is something I can kinda eyeball and feel fine with. I've never used color calibration before and all the reviews talk about photographers and not videographers and I'm wondering if I need something like that.

I also read about Final Cut Pro X and how it's "completely color managed", which I'm not sure I quite understand. I'm essentially wondering if I need to pay the extra $187 for my video work or not-

Thanks for your time and sorry if this is a dumb question-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Monitor + Spyder 3 Elite + Final Cut Pro?
on May 5, 2011 at 5:52:54 pm

The Spyder and other monitor calibrators are designed to make your monitors match GRAPHICS...They are for the people doing PRINT work. They are not for video calibration. You cannot get your computer monitor calibrated for video with any tool like that. And unless you have a Video I/O device, the signal being sent to the HDTV is a computer signal, not a video one. You need something like the MATROX MXO2 Mini or AJA IO Express that can send a video signal via HDMI in order to see an actual video image.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bobby Miller
on May 5, 2011 at 6:07:52 pm

Got it, thanks for the reply Shane.

It seems like that cheaper breakout box only does HDMI out, which figures, this HP monitor doesn't do. It's got DVI and Displayport...I'm *guessing* that an HDMI to DVI or Displayport would work, but I'm not sure if something gets lost in the translation there.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2011 at 6:11:13 pm

OH...well that's a COMPUTER monitor, not an HDTV...meaning it wouldn't be good at all for judging video quality. You need an HDTV at least.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]