FORUMS: list search recent posts

60FPS conversion issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike jensen
60FPS conversion issues
on May 4, 2011 at 9:42:37 pm

We are filming weddings in 59.94 fps with the intent of slowing some of the motion down in a highlights sequence and using the rest normal speed for long-form editing. Is it possible to interpret the footage conformed (to 30fps in Cinema tools) and create a different unconformed set of the footage unconformed for normal speed editing? If I go into Cinema Tools and conform to 30fps, I've got beautiful footage in 30fps for slow motion, but its a hassle to retime the footage in a normal speed sequence in FCP for normal playback.

Any clues on how I can use my raw footage both ways (conformed and unconformed) without copying and renaming every file would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Mike
Jensen Films
http://www.jensenfilms.com
http://www.jensenphotobooth.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 60FPS conversion issues
on May 4, 2011 at 10:18:33 pm

You have two options:
- Speed up the Conformed footage a 200% with FRAME BLENDING OFF.
- Drop the original stuff and set Speed 100% with FRAME BLENDING OFF.
In both cases FC just needs to drop half of the frames.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 4, 2011 at 10:26:01 pm

Aren't you going to end up with 60p converted to 30p that way? I think you need to work in interlaced, either SD or HD, and convert your 60p footage to either 1080i or 480i to preserve it's integrity of motion. The footage you want slowmo you can conform to 30p and use in the same sequence. You could even conform to 24p, then convert that footage to 24p with 2323 pulldown to get an even slower slomo.

I'd do all the conversions in AE where it just works. Although supposedly it can be done in compressor mucking about with frame controls and hoping for the best.

Return to posts index

mike jensen
on May 4, 2011 at 10:41:50 pm

...The original footage was shot in 720p 59.94 fps...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2011 at 3:06:31 am

Yes. I understand that. If you simply put that footage in a 30fps fcp seqeunce, fcp will throw away every other image. It will be missing half the temporal data. It will look like you had it on some sort of strobe mode.

You optimally want to keep all that data. Using AE or Compressor you can convert that footage to interlaced and use it in an interlaced sequence. Or, rethinking that, it would probably be optimal to just edit in a 60p sequence, and convert the final product to interlaced for DVD when you're done.

If you want to do a Blu-Ray for them, I'm not sure if bluray does 60p. I don't see why not. Either way, 60p or 1080i, the DVD would have the correct interlacing and/or pulldown if you used 24p for your slomo or 30p.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on May 5, 2011 at 2:04:17 pm

No, don't do interlaced. Interlaced footage doesn't look nearly as good. If your output is a DVD, then keep in progressive. If your output is the computer screen, you DEFINITELY don't want to interlace.

I say make your sequences 30p (29.97). That way your conformed material actually will be 50% slower than normal.

And to answer your question, if you want some footage at 30p and some at 60p, then your two options are to:

1. Have 2 copies of every clip: one conformed to 30 and one at the final output sequence setting.
2. Have just one copy, conformed to 30p. In cases where you want it to play at normal speed, do a simple speed change to 200%.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2011 at 2:45:30 pm

Try them both and see if you prefer 60fps or 30 fps with the 30 fps missing temporal data at that.

If it had been shot at 30fps progressive in the first place I'd agree because DVDs scale up better on LCDs when they are progressive. But this footage has already been shot interlaced essentially. Like ESPN broadcasting and shooting at 720p 60, they don't remove half the frames when you watch in SD. The 60 frames become 60 fields. AND interlaced will support smooth real pulldown of 60p conformed to 24p whereas a 30p sequence will not..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]