FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage copying itself over other footage?!?!?!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Belcher
Footage copying itself over other footage?!?!?!
on May 4, 2011 at 3:17:17 pm

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area... as I have never even heard of such a thing happening before. But I edited a project in the latest Final Cut Pro, and for some reason out of NOWHERE... a handful of my footage files stored on my external hard drive have copied themselves over some of the other footage files in the capture scratch folder.

Now, when I reconnect the media, the timelines are extremely screwed up since none of the footage matches anymore. It is flat out gone. I shot with a Panasonic GH2. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or maybe my external hard drive is on its way out or what... I'm totally at a loss here and this is going to cost me a great deal of time and money, and possibly a client.

If any of you have even a clue what the hell went wrong, please help!

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Footage copying itself over other footage?!?!?!
on May 4, 2011 at 4:26:56 pm

Well, files just won't move on their own...over-write other files. Computers don't work that way. But FCP might have lost the connection with the footage, or somehow deleted the footage (it has been reported doing that). ONe issue might be that those files have the same names. I know that with AVCHD cameras, they call the media CLIP #1, CLIP #2...and so on, until a card is full. THen on the next card you put it, it starts all over again, CLIP #1, CLIP #2... and since FCP relies primarily on clip name, it finds the OTHER CLIP #2, and tries to use that. But the timecode is wrong, but FCP might try to make it work anyway, jamming that square peg into a triangle hole, because it has the same name.

is that the issue? Same name? This is why unique naming of files is very important.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
on May 4, 2011 at 4:44:50 pm

Yes it could be the naming. But would that still matter even if everything was working perfectly initially and if there are no other files of the same name in the capture scratch folder? That seems extremely counter intuitive and detrimental if there are clips in other folders unrelated to the project with the same file name that can cause new clips to go haywire.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 4, 2011 at 4:56:21 pm

FCP is horrid with media management. It can lose connections to the media randomly...and if you have other footage with the same name somewhere, might try to connect to them. This is extremely rare, but does happen. Well, losing connection with media isn't all that rare, but randoming finding other footage to connect to...not unheard of, but VERY rare.

That footage on the capture scratch just vanishing? VERY rare too. Reimport...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Irwin
on May 4, 2011 at 5:08:27 pm

I agree with shane's assessment. In the future when using AVCHD cameras make sure to use the custom naming function within FCP log and transfer. This will keep any two clips from having the same filename.

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
on May 4, 2011 at 5:23:04 pm

Thanks for the help. I really hope FCPX at least attempts to fix this garbage...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 4, 2011 at 5:37:29 pm

Yeah, FC is very bad for MM, but is impossible that FC overwrites any file just like that.
That's not about FC, is about Mac OSx that will always ask you first.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on May 4, 2011 at 7:40:22 pm

Did you have any other projects open when you imported the footage? If so, you may have accidently forgot to change the logging bin location, and so all the media is associated with some other project. Check ALL your recent project scratch folders, and see if the footage is in there.

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
on May 4, 2011 at 8:19:46 pm

I always only have one project file open when I'm logging & transferring, and I'm sure I only had one open this time. The footage is nowhere else... I've thoroughly check all capture scratch folders. I guess I'll have to chalk it up as a loss this time around and bite the bullet... But after this I'm NEVER going to not name a clip I import... ever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]