FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Jumps Clip to Different Frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Render Jumps Clip to Different Frames
on May 3, 2011 at 9:58:44 pm

There may be to many steps in this process to figure out where the problem lies, but maybe this issue will sound familiar to someone so here goes.

I wanted to capture some computer screen moves and cut them into my show. I used iShowU to record the screen images. As I wasn't certain what I would need for my final resolution and wanting the best possible image, I recorded Uncompressed 8-bit.

I then used mpeg streamclip to convert the QT to DV 720x480 for the low rez cut of the show. I then imported and cut the clip into my sequence. The timing was off so I had to extract some parts and extend some static screens, not by changing their speed, but by cutting them in more than once.

Here's the problem: when I render the clips the frames jump to different timings. I've played with this endlessly, but I can't figure out how to get a rendered version of what I'm really trying to achieve.

I know that description is pretty hard to follow; I'm banking on someone recognizing the issue through the mud and having the answer I need.

Anybody?

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
Re: Render Jumps Clip to Different Frames
on May 6, 2011 at 2:40:23 am

Hey Martin,

It happened to me once; never figured out why. I eventually figured out what the offset was and purposefully slid it to the wrong frame so that it was correct when rendered.
Have you tried exporting it as a new self-contained, same-as-source QT? Then make your cuts and see if the re-wrap fixes the problem?

Last ditch, throw it to a tape and re-ingest.

Maybe a greater mind can actually solve your problem. Hope so.

Good luck,
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on May 6, 2011 at 3:46:54 am

Yeah Dan, I figured out after posting that it was an exactly 20 frame offset and I forced it that way into what I wanted.

I can't remember (and don't have fcp launched right now) if I tried to export/import the clip. I had tried to export the clip from a sequence and it, of course, wanted to render first.

Another bug. Wonder if any of them get fixed in fxpx or if we just get a new interface and more bugs.

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on May 6, 2011 at 8:48:26 am

Hi
QuickTime, and video creation/screen-capture programs based on QT, can have frames of variable duration (= variable frame rate). This is incompatible with FCP's need for a stable fixed frame rate.

The best solution I've found is to use Cinema Tools to conform such video files to a proper frame rate before transcoding for import into FCP.

If using MPEG Streamclip always set an Export frame rate, never let it use the current frame rate.

The biggest change with FCP X appears to be the EOL'ing of QuickTime and all its foibles in favour of a much more robust metadata-database based successor AVFoundation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]