FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Render Watermark

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Quick Render Watermark
on May 3, 2011 at 9:06:02 pm

I'd like to put a watermark over my entire 70 minute show before I send copies out for review on DVD. In a perfect world, I'd create a unique watermark for each recipient. But rendering a text overlay even once seems to take an eternity. Is there a trick, a workaround or something?

Years ago, I remember Avid had an effect called Stamp that served this purpose (as best I recall).

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quick Render Watermark
on May 3, 2011 at 9:31:11 pm

I know Compressor has the ability to add a watermark, and it's a boon for adding the same one to a lot of different videos.

But adding different watermarks to the same video over and over again? I'm not so sure about that one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on May 3, 2011 at 9:34:10 pm

You can do it in Compressor. Kick out the Quicktime file from FCP, then take that file into Compressor. Apply your DVD settings for compression. Double-click the video compression setting and under the filters tab, check the box next to watermark. Create a graphic or text element in a graphic program (it can have an alpha channel if you need it) and set that as the watermark. Use the preview screen to position the watermark where you want it and to set size and opacity. Then let Compressor do it's magic. This also allows you to use different watermarks for different deliverables and doesn't tie up FCP.

Hope that helps.
Jamie

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on May 3, 2011 at 9:37:27 pm

Dave and Jamie,

That should, at least for one watermark. I'm assuming I can do this as I'm compressing a reference file? At least I'd save a step.

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on May 3, 2011 at 9:42:46 pm

It should work with a reference file. If you need a different watermark for different DVD deliverables, just add another DVD compression setting to the reference file in Compressor and check the watermark tab and this time point it to a different watermark element. It should work fine for you.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2011 at 9:46:35 pm

Yes, using a reference file of your FCP edit timeline will help speed the process. A self-contained file would be better, because you could then keep working -- and perhaps rerendering -- in the same edit timeline. A reference file would look for a previous render, which would send Compressor south.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randy Lee
on May 5, 2011 at 10:16:20 pm

One other consideration - if you're using an image with an alpha, it seems to take longer. If it's just text or a slap-on-the-top picture, it doesn't take as much horsepower to render. That's been my experience anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]