FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback problem with multiple GeForce 8800 GT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guillaume Choquette
Playback problem with multiple GeForce 8800 GT
on May 3, 2011 at 8:45:48 pm

Here's our situation.

We're having serious playback issues with some of our computers in our post facility. We have about 7-8 computers sharing projects using a metaSAN RAID drive. With the faulty computers, I can open most project and the playback is fine. However, if I attempt playback on some specific sequences (mostly sequences with bright green bars, needing render. It can be mismatched resolution, still images, etc), the playback will stutter and give me a "frame dropped" warning.

However, if I go back to a sequence that was previously playing fine, it is now having the same problems. A restart of FCP will fix it temporarily, until I play a faulty sequence again.

The thing is it's not doing it on all computers, only on those equipped with a NVidia GeForce 8800GT. Therefore, it seems to be the problem. We've ruled out HD read speeds, memory issues, the video card really the only difference between the functionnal and non-functionnal computers.

The thing is I can't find a lot of info from other users having the same problem (though I find a lot of people having trouble with 8800GT and FCP). The obvious solution seems to buy new graphic cards (we're thinking the ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit from Apple), but I wanted to know if anyone has a better idea first.

Thanks!

PS: I can't really give you specs for the computers since they're all a little different. But they're all MacPros, 8 cores, at least 6 GB of RAM, connected to a RAID through fiber channel, and obviously they have 8800GTs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]