Mac Pro
Dual Core Intel Xeon
2.66 GHZ
4GB RAM
OS 10.6.7
FCP 7.0.3
QT 10.0 (also tried QT 7.7)

The problem:
Our IT department rebuilt one of our machines recently and when we got it back, FCP starts dropping frames after a couple of seconds. It's more than just a few frames too, it will hold completely for a few seconds before it jumps to where it ought to be after the lag (i.e. it's skipping large chunks). We opened one of the clips in Quicktime and still had problems. We've tried hooking that drive up to two other computers and haven't had any problems. Initially, the drive was hooked up over FW400, we switched to FW800 and it got a little further before it started dropping frames. Moving the file to the internal hard drive also improved performance but it still dropped frames. Prior to the rebuild, this machine could edit over FW400 without these issues. We shoot and edit DVCPROHD unwrapped to QT format.

Anybody run into anything similar? Any suggestions other than another rebuild?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Dropped frames on playback after rebuilt machine
on May 3, 2011 at 5:37:12 pm

Well, did they, after this rebuild...install the OS fresh? All the apps fresh? rebuild from scratch EVERYTHING? That's what they might have to do.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jack Marck
on May 3, 2011 at 7:58:17 pm

I was told by our IT guy that the computer was rebuilt with an image rather than from scratch. Final Cut Studio was a from-scratch install that apparently failed 3 times before they tried installing it (successfully) one component at a time. You'd think 3 unsuccessful install attempts would have been a clue that something wasn't right...

I didn't know that the machine was imaged, I'm inclined to think that could be the problem. I'll see if I can get them to start over.

Out of my own technical curiosity, why would an image of a working hard-drive cause these sorts of issues?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 3, 2011 at 8:10:19 pm

[Jack Marck] "Out of my own technical curiosity, why would an image of a working hard-drive cause these sorts of issues?
"

It sounds as if your IT guy installed FCS over the top of the previous version, but is considering that to be "from scratch."

This is why more IT guys aren't editors, and why editors need to tell the IT Dept. precisely what to do in these types of cases.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 3, 2011 at 8:14:05 pm

Installing the OS from a DISK IMAGE is actually fine. I know places that do this to speed things up. But the issue is that they then tried to install FCS...failed 3 times, and then got it to work. Well...residual from the other installs might be causing these issues. What they need to so is install the OS again, and then FCS in the way that worked.

Editing system installs are more finicky than normal computer/software installs. One needs to know the needs of video editing systems.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jack Marck
on May 3, 2011 at 8:20:50 pm

I'm pretty sure he wiped the drive before imaging it. The image that they use is from a clean, fresh install of Snow Leopard.

I started off working on PC's years ago (not video related) and I know on those you can't just go changing OS's without considering the hardware configuration. Are macs that way too? I ask this because her computer was running an older version, either 10.5 or 10.6, she doesn't remember.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 3, 2011 at 8:43:49 pm

[Jack Marck] "I'm pretty sure he wiped the drive before imaging it. The image that they use is from a clean, fresh install of Snow Leopard."

Pretty sure is not good enough in this case Jack.

[Jack Marck] "on PC's years ago (not video related) and I know on those you can't just go changing OS's without considering the hardware configuration. Are macs that way too?"

Not exactly! Again, I suspect that's not the problem.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jack Marck
on May 3, 2011 at 9:17:09 pm

[Shane Ross] "Installing the OS from a DISK IMAGE is actually fine"

Our laptop was setup using an image from a stable edit station in our bay. The image they used for that included FCS 2 and CS 3. No stability/playback issues.

The "layered install" would make sense, I didn't think of that. I've run into similar issues with ProTools.

[David Roth Weiss] "Pretty sure is not good enough in this case Jack."

Their standard process here is to wipe, then image. Sorry, I shouldn't have sounded so vague.

Kinda sounds like our next step is to format the drive and start over again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]