FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Internal Brightness Options?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher J. Pelosi
FCP Internal Brightness Options?
on May 3, 2011 at 1:32:40 pm

Good day,

I have gone through the threads and I could not find an answer to my issue.

When running FCP7 the image inside the canvas and viewer are extremely dark and non-usable. The same footage was imported into another person's FCP7 and the footage looks nearly identical to the export.
When I export the dark footage, the .mov looks identical to my friend's export.

Does anyone know how to increase the brightness of the viewer and canvas so just the footage looks appropriate in color and contrast?

It is not my monitors since I have tried swapping them out. Everything else, such as OSX and the backgrounds look fine.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

-CJ Pelosi

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: FCP Internal Brightness Options?
on May 4, 2011 at 4:03:33 am

Hi CJ, this thread isn't all on topic, but might help a bit:

Matt Lyon

Return to posts index

Christopher J. Pelosi
on May 4, 2011 at 2:38:30 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. That helped me out tremendously. In the end it was a gamma issue with OSX and how FCP was trying to interpret the footage.

I changed my gamma to 1.8 and that fixed everything.

Again, much appreciated.

-CJ Pelosi

Return to posts index

Brian Petersen
on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:52:41 pm

Is there no way to tell FCP to NOT shift the gamma. Does FCP 7.0 assume that you are in 1.8 space?

I tried to post this topic below, but I just joined the forum so it didn't let me. Only replies. My questions is below... Thanks.

Hello all,

I know this topic has been covered before, but the answers never seemed to address what I'm trying to get to here. Every response was always a "get a proper broadcast external monitor".

I am putting together videos for the web (will never be seen on a broadcast monitor) and I'm concerned with the massive contrast difference I get from the FCP viewer and canvas compared to the final output in Quicktime.

I KNOW that FCP and quicktime use different methods of showing video on the screen. But take a look at this screen shot...

The image on the left is in quicktimeX. The image on the right is the same movie file in FCP canvas. There is obviously a MASSIVE difference between these two.

The way the video looks in QuicktimeX is the generally how the video file looks when uploaded and then viewed on YouTube, Vimeo, and other website across multiple browsers and platforms, with slightly variances here and there. It never looks like the image on the right (FCP canvas).

To all the people that want to write back saying "Get a broadcast external monitor" are you saying that if I plugged in a broadcast external monitor that the monitor image would look similar to the image on the left (the one in quicktime)? And so any color changes would match up correctly when put on the web (generally speaking)?

I'm not looking for the FCP canvas to be pixel perfect, but the amount of difference in this screen shot is wildly unacceptable. I often shoot, edit on laptop only, then post to web. I can't have an external monitor around. As is, if I want to do anything with color I have to tweak, output to qt to see what it looks like, tweak again, output to qt to see if it looks good, and then go from there.

FCP is obviously doing something the video. I'm running Lion and was running SL and had the same issue. I'm running FCP 7.0. Since I'm in 2.2 gamma across the board, is FCP still adjusting my video for display thinking that I'm in 1.8? Because that would probably do this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved