FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing water spots on lens

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Gulledge
Removing water spots on lens
on May 2, 2011 at 6:41:07 pm

I read a few posts from people with this same problem. I recently watched a tutorial on boris filters. They made facial blemishes vanish and removed a bird flying across the sky. New to FC so please don't fault my lack of knowledge or curiosity but is it possible to use that same filter (or anything else within FC) to make one or two water spots go away? They are only visible in a few shots that we really want to include.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Removing water spots on lens
on May 2, 2011 at 7:37:17 pm

You can duplicate the video track, offset it by as few pixels as possible, then use a soft-edged mask to cover the blemished area with nearly-right pixels.

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on May 2, 2011 at 7:54:30 pm

Sounds like a great idea...so again, as if you were speaking to an elementary student. Duplicate I understand. Offset? Soft edge mask under Mattes? So am I just changing the duplicate and laying it on top of the original so that the water spot is blurred or covered?

So sorry to need further instructions here

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on May 2, 2011 at 7:39:37 pm

Grr...do not think the boris effect will work at all. Effect called wire remover in Keys Matte. Applied it and played with it with no success. What should I try now?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 2, 2011 at 7:50:39 pm

Hi Heather,
Yes you have to use the same technique that is basically to mask the area with part of the very image.
In the end the result will depend very much of what you want to mask, the size, the and the movement inside the picture, the camera movement..
A bird crossing a blue sky in front of a static camera will be very easy to mask. A drop of water of a certain size with some camera movement or movement in the background will be very difficult.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 8:08:16 pm

Digital HEaven has a plug in that may help, depending on how big the drops are. it would sure help us to know, if you could post a still frame from the video with the spots visible.

I'll try to set up a similar effect and post you a step-by-step. Meanwhile, duplicate the video track and get it set up in synch with track one. Double-click to highlight that second video layer. Then go to your top menu bar and find Effects>Video Effects>Masks>4-point masking tool.

We'll try to talk you down to the runway.

And don't call me Shirley...

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on May 2, 2011 at 8:31:27 pm

Ok...here he is. There is the very obvious water spot on the left in front of his arm and a smaller one around his hand/fruit on right.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 9:56:13 pm

OK, I'm going to walk you thru a very simplified procedure here, I'm sure someone else would give you a better tutorial. Anyway, this is something you can also practice doing in photoshop, we're doing a similar thing here, just with multiple frames. Copy and paste an identical video track above on track 2 and highlight it/select it. See the window on the far left, get yours set up the same way.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 10:00:58 pm

Step two, I use the opacity slider to make the top layer 50 percent transparent so when I move the layer around in the next step, I can see where I'm going to steal a patch of better pixels to lay on top of that splotch on his arm, like a bandaid.

Where it says "center" click the little crosshair too, a red crosshair appears on the video, use your mouse to drag it over a little bit. A short a distance as possible, we need the pixels to come from as near a neighborhood as possible.

I have also bumped up the scale just a little bit.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 10:04:03 pm

Next you see me using the crop tools to mask off most of the top layer, then I'll restore the transparency to 100 percent opaque, and we have our fleshy band-aid in rough form.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 10:14:55 pm

In this step I refined the left, right, top and bottom crops, added some feathering on the edges of the crop, then I applied the 3-way color corrector to that top track and adjusted the middle brightness slider and got a whole lot closer to matching. I also threw on some gaussian blur filter. This is not finished, but I think now that you see some basic steps you could do it better than I can.

I was going to show you the 4-point masking tool, but maybe that should wait until you've played with this simple offset cropping of a second layer. The theory behind this fix is, the drops are a fixed point on the lens so if you offset a duplicate layer of video at the beginning, it stays in synch with your video, just offset by a few pixels to the side, and you're cutting a little window for that patch to cover over or show thru (you can do the thing using either layer, just reverse the patch to a hole or vice-versa).

I hope that is a little bit of help, I was really pressed for time and couldn't do a better job just now. But hopefully it gave you a starting point to explore solutions on your own.

As far as photoshop skills, if you are good at photoshop, what you can do is mark and in and out on the bad section, export it as a frame movie, i.e. still photo sequence (use tif or tga), bring that stack of stills into photoshop, and use the healing or clone brush tools to paint out each frame. Re-save the frames and re-import them back to the timeline, poor man's rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on May 3, 2011 at 3:43:22 pm

mark,
Oh please, I am just thrilled with what you gave me to work with. I am just sorry it took as much of your time as it did. It was very easy to follow. I have worked the steps several times and then deleted the second 'work' layer just so I can get comfortable with it. We want to master the first of next week so you were right to keep it simple. I will play with the masking tools further when I am not in the "AUGH" stage of a project.

Thank you for your time and effort. I truly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Paul Rhys
on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:21:32 am

Nearly four years later Mark, and your advice is still reverberating round the globe.

I thought a week-long shoot in Papua New Guinea had been spoiled by dirt spots on my piece-to-camera. You've saved me. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 13, 2015 at 3:17:21 pm

That made my day, hearing that. Thanks back at you.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on May 3, 2011 at 4:05:55 am

It'd be faster to wtith either After Effects or Photoshop, you can open a quicktime file natively in it, no need to export as an image sequence.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 3, 2011 at 1:23:07 pm

Mark, you are very kind to offer the tutorial. So please don't take this as any kind of criticism, because you gave great advice.

But Heather, another way to handle it is to edit in a shot of splashy water action just before this shot, and leave this one as is. It's like audio of a dog barking during an interview - if you don't see the dog, it's distracting; if you have "established" the dog beforehand, it's good atmosphere.

Maybe the best way, if you have that splashy shot, is to ADD some waterdrops to the "damaged" shot! Is there a plug-in for that?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on May 3, 2011 at 3:50:33 pm

Mark's idea worked for this situation but I have other footage in this little project that your idea works for. Unfortunately, the man who filmed this is in Hawaii and we are in Tennessee so kind of having to work with what we get. Point is I had SEVERAL clips with water spots. Positioning them next to, say, surfing footage does take away from the distraction factor. And am looking for a water plugin now (if such a thing exist.)
Thank you for your contribution and time. It will definitely work for me too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]