FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create subclip to specific bin? Also, tab from Name column to Log Note?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Create subclip to specific bin? Also, tab from Name column to Log Note?
on May 2, 2011 at 2:11:09 pm

I'm subclipping interview bites in FCP. I have a bin with all the raw footage - I'd like my subclips to go to a Subclip bin. Can I make FCP do this? It seems to want to put all subclips in the same bin as the master clip.

Also, I mark In/Out, hit Cmd+U to make a subclip, and it highlights the name of the subclip in the bin - I'm leaving the name alone but I want to write notes in the Log Note column. How do I tab over to it? I can't figure out how to use the keyboard to go from the Name column to the Log Note column. Having to grab the mouse to activate the Log Note column is killing my wrist and slowing me down. Is there a default keyboard shortcut for this? Can I assign a keyboard shortcut for this?

I google searched and searched CreativeCow for both questions - didn't find anything. Hopefully I just missed something.

Thanks,

Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Create subclip to specific bin? Also, tab from Name column to Log Note?
on May 2, 2011 at 2:23:20 pm

Move the clip into the bin in which you want the subclips. Make the subclips. Move the clip back. Or make the subclips and then move them into the bin you want. You can't direct subclips to a specific bin.

Tried the Tab key? You might want to rearrange your columns so the log note is closer.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 2, 2011 at 2:32:50 pm

I've been doing what you suggest for subclips - moving them after an entire interview is done. Shame you can't pick a bin to send them directly to.

Regarding Name -- Log Note:
Tab doesn't work - I've have arranged my layout so Log Note is right next to Name but Tab doesn't move from Name to Log Note, or any other column. It just goes to the next clip. Now once you've activated Log Note or another column (anything other than Name), tab works but it still requires you to touch the mouse to get to this point. C'est la vie.

I'll wait till FCPX comes out - if this behavior is the same I'll start making feature requests.

Thanks Tom.

Michael

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 2, 2011 at 2:53:36 pm

I don't think there's any subclip function in FCP X as we understand it. There are favorites and keyworded sections which behave as subclips when their in a smart collection.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 2, 2011 at 3:12:04 pm

As long as it works like a subclip and marking, making notes, scrubbing footage, etc...can be keyboard driven, I'll be happy. Requiring the use of a mouse to add notes to a clip is too inefficient.

Michael

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22:19 pm

Anybody try using the 'Make Compound Clip' function ? This in addition with Keywords can perhaps substitute for making subclips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]