FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transitioning between sequences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Pitkethly
Transitioning between sequences
on Apr 30, 2011 at 7:01:33 pm

Hi,

I'm very new to Final Cut Express, (this is my first project in it) but I've searched these forums and can't find an answer to my problem so thought I would ask here. Apologies in advance if this is something super obvious.

I'm making a music video which involves lots of very quick cuts (about 0.4 seconds) for an almost stop motion effect. Ideally I want to then merge all of these tiny clips that I split using the razor blade into a single video clip (all audio is separate). From searching forums it seemed that nesting was the way to do this, but FCE doesn't support this so I put each section of stop motion into a sequence. This works fine, the problem comes when I try to transition between them. It always fades to black first even though I'm trying to do a cross blend or an additive blend. I suspect it is because there is not enough video in a single clip (although I DON'T get the not enough media warning I've seen mentioned.) Is there another way for me to merge my clip? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Return to posts index

Scott Pitkethly
Re: Transitioning between sequences
on Apr 30, 2011 at 7:20:05 pm

Actually, when I zoomed right in I noticed there was a tiny gap between the sequences which explains the fade to black (as I said, I'm a novice). I'm now back to my original problem, I can't transition because the clips are too short. Should I just render the sequences to quick time and use these? It feels like there should be a better way..

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 30, 2011 at 7:26:08 pm

"but FCE doesn't support this"

Wrong. You can't select the items and convert them to a nest, but if you cut the material in a sequence, you can place that sequence inside another sequence, which is nesting.

Final Cut treats a nested sequence as a complete piece of media. If you want to do a transition between them you have to either trim back the two adjacent nests in the master sequence using the ripple function, or put the nests on separate tracks so they overlap and apply the transition to the nest on the upper layer. This will work with some transitions, but not all.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Scott Pitkethly
on Apr 30, 2011 at 7:43:30 pm

Thanks Tom for the incredibly quick response! I guess I am nesting then as I'm creating sequences and using them within a master sequence. If a put the sequences on a separate track (as shown in the image attached) then when I transition I get a fade to black (with a cross fade applied). I've zoomed in and there is not gap. I don't want to use the ripple tool as the timing of the sequence is important. I will experiment with adding dummy frames and setting an In and Out point in the nested sequence, I wonder if that will work?

Enjoying your book by the way!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 30, 2011 at 7:57:10 pm

Make sure the nested sequences overlap in the timeline tracks.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 30, 2011 at 8:35:00 pm

Ye be warned!
Nesting is evil, never works as advertised, and is the cause of much crashes, sync loss and other anomalies.
Bake your sequence, and re-import it.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on May 3, 2011 at 2:25:06 pm

What Scott is suggesting will work if your edits are fixed; once you've baked it you can't go back and change the edit.

And by "baking", he means export each sequence of shots as a "same as source" quicktime (select all, Apple + 'e') and then re-import it as a source. Make sure you export it to your media drive.

If you want to retain the editability of the shots, use Tom's method.

Cheers,
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6