FORUMS: list search recent posts

need to increase render times for graphics-heavy sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elise london
need to increase render times for graphics-heavy sequence
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:16:59 pm

Hi all -- I am currently working on many hour-long HD sequences, each with graphics laid over top, all the way through. Right now, we have 11 tracks of video -- one track with the video footage condensed down all onto V1, and then the remaining tracks are all graphic elements. Graphics elements include: mov's exported out of after effects, a "countdown" plugin, text, and still .png's. Some of these elements are keyframed. Some have transitions applied.

Before proceeding, I would like to figure out the most efficient way to place the graphics and render.

Here are some questions/ideas:

-Would it help to export out our full res video of V1, then import that .mov and lay the graphics over that instead?
-Would nesting help?
-One of our elements is a .png with keyframes applied. Would it be better to export that out as a .mov and reimport that, instead of using the .png?

If anyone knows of any great advanced tutorials that address increasing efficiency of rendering in final cut -- please let me know! So far all I have found is fragments of information, and very basic basic tutorials. I'd love to really learn the theory behind how final cut renders, in order to ascertain the best practices moving forward.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

elise london
Re: need to increase render times for graphics-heavy sequence
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:53:15 pm

PS -- my timeline is xdcam hd422 1080i60 50mb/s

Return to posts index

elise london
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:58:08 pm

also -- is changing my render settings to a brand of ProRes something that I should consider?

Return to posts index

Michael Gossen
on Apr 30, 2011 at 12:28:12 am

Yeah, I like the render to ProRes option. What is your final destination for your project? Chances are it is fine, but I have had some plugins tweak when rendering in either 8-bit or 10-bit respectively, so be aware of that. To be honest, most cameras shoot 8-bit video codecs (including XDCAM) to begin with so depending on your goals as far as effects/color you probably aren't doing any damage. You may want to render 8-bit now if it will save time and go back to 10-bit for "online". You probably won't be able to see anything perceptible either way.

Michael Gossen
Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]