FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMF sync from FCP to Digital Performer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lunday
OMF sync from FCP to Digital Performer
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:40:18 pm

Hey everyone, so I'm trying to break down my Final Cut Pro edited feature film into reels and export these for editing into Digital Performer and having some serious sync troubles when I open them into DP....although I think the problem may be in the OMF files themselves. My timeline editing timebase is 23.98 with audio at 48k and 16-bit. Now when I open the OMF file into DP even before bringing the video in...I've noticed a few regions where the dialogue gets cut off as if and where although the region is of proper length..the waveform in it has shifted! Really weird...this isn't in everything but in a spot to two....and then also I'll have lines that are in sync and then some that are out a good frame or so...just seems quite random...sometimes within a scene one dialogue track will be in sync and then another won't be....don't know what the hell is going on! I REALLY hope someone can shed some light on this....have tried several options but getting nowhere...In my DP session I have it set to 48k, 16-bit audio and a frame rate of 23.98, which shows perfect sync with my video smpte window burn (which I generated in FCP)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: OMF sync from FCP to Digital Performer
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:37:54 am

OMFs from FCP into the systems that I use (Fairlight, dSP) have been sync bullet proof for nearly a decade, so I suspect DP is the issue. There may be some issue with DP trying to make sense of dissolves or levels or if there are clips in the timeline that are not enabled.

So make an OMF without dissolves or levels, delete all non enabled clips and also make sure all the media in FCP is 48khz uncompressed (ie no mp3 files).

If you still have issues then you will have to question DP's ability to import an OMF.

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:19:29 am

I have made OMFs in FCP and transferred them into DP on weekly basis for the last seven years and have never had any major problems. I have had a couple of instances where a file or two gets mangled. Usually its a file that is not tied to a video track in FCP. I've also had problems with mp3 music files on the FCP timeline, I never do that but I get projects form others in that format. My fades from FCP are never a problem. Sorry I can't be more help, but I just don't really have any major problems.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

David Lunday
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:40:24 pm

Hey vince, I'm thinking what the problem is, is that I have different audio formats throughout the project...some days the sound guy recorded 48k 16-bit....and other days there was a different guy who recorded at 44.1k at 24-bits. So I've read that this can be a problem with knocking the tracks out of whack...plus, on some of the music tracks I just brought a song in off of a CD at 44.1/16-bit....and I have my OMF export at 48k/16-bit...so, anyway, kinda sucks because I was under the impression that FCP took care of the conversion...after all, you can put all these different formats together on the timeline and they play fine...apparently not in the OMF transfer however...ugh

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:55:12 pm

You're probably right. In projects originated at our studio I make sure all mp3s are converted to 48k aif or wav. My music and SFX library is 48k, though we get the occasional 44.1k file. Seems like the more odd files on a timeline the worse the OMF comes out.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]