FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL in FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Julsrud
NTSC to PAL in FCP?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:55:10 pm

I'm working on trying to send an SD NTSC show captured from miniDV overseas to a station that's asking for 625 PAL standard. They're requesting that the shows be sent on a hard drive as Apple ProRes 422 files in this format with 4 channels of audio, the first two being stereo mixes and the 3rd and 4th being stereo mixes minus voiceover.

While searching around online, the best solution I've found has been to send to compressor and do the conversion to PAL there, although as I understand it, I'd have to then convert that new PAL file to Apple ProRes once it was done. As expected, this is taking forever. Are there any better solutions out there I'm missing?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: NTSC to PAL in FCP?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 8:25:44 pm

Really, without spending any money, yes that's the best you can hope for in Studio.

You can purchase the Nattress Standards Converter which does a good job.

The best way is to lay to tape or digital file and send to a shop that has a hardware converter.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: NTSC to PAL in FCP?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:22:31 pm

Do the standards conversion and output to ProRes in one step in Compressor. By making a PAL DV timeline, it is taking a further quality hit. The standards conversion is effectively a transcoding to a poor quality codec like DV and then a second step to ProRes so cut one step and save a little time and reduce loss.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]