FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Color, image in Scopes window is way too dark.......

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hanson
FCP Color, image in Scopes window is way too dark.......
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:26:33 pm

The subject in the clip that's displayed in the upper left corner (or top of the Scopes window) is barely visible, as if the settings are way off. Can't figure out what I did wrong to get this result.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bh

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Color, image in Scopes window is way too dark.......
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:43:59 pm

Yeah...don't use the image in the Color Scopes area as ANY sort of reference as to the look and quality of your video. It is VERY FAR from color accurate.

Do use Color you really need a capture/output device and at least an HDTV

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Hanson
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:04:13 pm

Yeah, I'm outputting the image from my Mac Pro to an HDTV, so the Color windowing is all displayed on that. The image is not even visible (per the attached screen shot I posted) in the upper left of the screen while in the "Secondaries" tab within the Color interface, I have to see something, right??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:34:14 pm

How are you getting the signal from your computer to the TV?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:53:40 pm

Didn't see a link in the original post. If you are not seeing the image in the secondaries room then it is difficult to set HSL keys etc. But what you seem to describe is the image above the scopes to the left, which I almost never look at.

Are you using two display monitors and are they the same size. Is your graphics card ATI or NVIDIA? Does it always happen so a restart doesn't fix it?

Return to posts index

Bill Hanson
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:57:32 am

Yeah, the image is there, but really dark, I can play around w/ the Hue & Lum curves to make the image appear, albeit very funky in coloration. I just missing some setting or have something set wrong cuz the image is there, it's just barely there.

I have an ATI card, the computer is only two months old, so pretty new hardware......

I'm connecting to the HDTV via the mini monitor out connection on the MP and the HDMI in on the back of the tv/monitor.

Second attempt at attaching screen shot.....

Return to posts index

mr anderson
on May 3, 2011 at 2:15:07 am

Your Scopes issue is caused from the HDMI connection and Snow Leopard itself. It's not related to the ATI card or FCPS software. If you use a DVI connection your Scopes Dark Image issue will be solved. I know firsthand as I had the exact same issue using an NVidia video card and OSX 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Bill Hanson
on May 4, 2011 at 2:55:20 am

Hmm, just bought and connected the DVI to HDMI cable, to no avail.....was I suppose to make any other changes in settings for this to take affect??

Thanks for the advice, will keep tweaking until I get it solved.

Return to posts index

Thomas Anderson
on May 4, 2011 at 3:35:05 am

DVI to DVI will work with no settings adjustments needed if your monitor has a DVI port. HDMI v1.3 cables should work as well. There are so many versions of HDMI v1.4 that you need to physically check which HDMI cable you have. Also you need to reverse connect the HDMI cable as some if not all v1.4 HDMI cables are unidirectional. HDMI is a nightmare because of HDCP, that DVI does not have.

I dont personally know about DVI to HDMI but obviously it does not work either.

Return to posts index

Thomas Anderson
on May 4, 2011 at 4:45:51 am

DVI to DVI will work with no settings adjustments needed if your monitor has a DVI port. HDMI v1.3 cables should work as well. There are so many versions of HDMI v1.4 that you need to physically check which HDMI cable you have. Also you need to reverse connect the HDMI cable as some if not all v1.4 HDMI cables are unidirectional. HDMI is a nightmare because of HDCP, that DVI does not have.

I don't personally know about DVI to HDMI but obviously it does not work either.

Also if you are at 1920x1080 resolution you can lower your screen res down one step to avoid HDCP altogether.

Return to posts index

Bill Hanson
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:30:38 am

Yeah, the image is there, but really dark, I can play around w/ the Hue & Lum curves to make the image appear, albeit very funky in coloration. I just missing some setting or have something set wrong cuz the image is there, it's just barely there.

I have an ATI card, the computer is only two months old, so pretty new hardware......

I'm connecting to the HDTV via the mini monitor out connection on the MP and the HDMI in on the back of the tv/monitor.

Second attempt at attaching screen shot

Return to posts index

Westley Gathright
on Sep 18, 2012 at 7:26:38 am

I know it has been a while since you posted but I thought I would reply with my fix anyways to help others like me. After scowering the web for a fix to this exact problem, I have found that the solution in my case is simple.

Color (and all Final Cut for that matter) HATES ICC profile version 4 and only works with version 2. I assume you are running a version 4 profile so just revert to any older version 2, such as the ones from apple or recalibrate under version 2 specs, then restart Color.

I am using a late 2009 imac 27" dual monitor setup. Never had an issue with Color until I updated to Mountain Lion and got a flickering strobe effect. Then upgraded to Color 1.5.3 and that fixed the strobing issue.

Then I calibrated using an Xrite Eye One Display and i1Profiler Lion edition today under ICC ver 4 and all hell broke loose!

Spread the word and stay away from ICC version 4 if you use Color!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]