FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT opens file, FCP rejects it. who can tell me why?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tuviah Snyder
QT opens file, FCP rejects it. who can tell me why?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:32:32 pm

We have created DV25 and DV100 MOV files which open perfectly fine in Quicktime, MPEG stream clip and VLC. 29.97 framerate and correct resolution. Yes when I drag into FCP it says its an unknown or invalid file.

When we drag in other DV25 and DV100 files that FCP has generated during export they work fine in both QT and FCP. We have compared media info using various applications and can find no difference.

Who can help us find out exactly what is wrong with the file that FCP wont accept it?

best,

Tuviah Snyder

Senior Software Engineer

Solid State Logic

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: QT opens file, FCP rejects it. who can tell me why?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:21:50 pm

[Tuviah Snyder] "We have created DV25 and DV100 MOV files"

How did you create them?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tuviah Snyder
on Apr 28, 2011 at 1:58:55 pm

OK I'll describe the workflow. My company develops an asset management solution and we wrote final cut plugin (display a menu item in Import menu) which calls a web service to convert DV files that our system manages and converts them to DV25/100 MOV files (Mainconcept DVPROHD directshow filter->our MOV muxer filter). It then imports them into the project using Final Cut XML. It appears that 1 out of 3 of these files is valid for QT but not FCP and we cannot figure out why. We spent hours and hours comparing media info and still no clue.

Unfortunately we cannot use any workaround such as first opening in QT, and then resaving because that would ruin the seamless workflow which our customers demand. And unfortunately it appears that the QTSDK for Windows does not have DV/DVCPRO Encoders which is why we wrote our own software.

Our Mac developer here is having an impossible time figuring out how to resolve this problem, because we cannot find out what is wrong with the file. If we knew what exactly was wrong with the file instead of a very vague invalid file dialog I'm sure we could fix it.

Please help.

best,
Tuviah Snyder
Senior Software Engineer
Solid State Logic Inc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:42:27 pm

Tuviah,

Contact me privately and I might be able to help you. My contact info is on my website below.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:36:14 pm

Open a clip in QT and "Copy".
Open a new window (Com-N) and Paste.
Save as Self-contained and see if its works in FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:24:42 pm

All the codecs you listed only work in fixed frame sizes and audio format. QT is more flexible than FCP. Check that your DV is 720x480 and DVCPro is 1280x1080 . I believe audio has to be PCM. Make sure the wrapper you're sending FCP is not changing/scaling anything.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Tuviah Snyder
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:03:07 am

The DV25 MOV file can be downloaded from

http://d1yb9lkqglrfzu.cloudfront.net/media/tuvtesting/SRC042811_150408_PPT0... p

It's 1 minute and 4 seconds and 150mb. I begun by trying to send a much shorter sample file but  found that if the video was less than 1 minute and 2 seconds FCP actually opened it OK.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]