FORUMS: list search recent posts

XviD & PCM Codecs in Final Cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Veach
XviD & PCM Codecs in Final Cut?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:19:08 pm

I could use some help here as I am not a Mac person nor a Final Cut Pro person, however, I need to share a video with someone that is.

I use Sony Vegas on a PC. I created a video using the Open Source XviD video codec (MPEG-4, H.263 format) with a PCM (Windows) uncompressed audio codec in an AVI file wrapper. Both Windows friendly but not so much Mac and Final Cut friendly I'm afraid.

The woman I'm helping is having trouble importing it into Final Cut. I don't know what version she has and she appears to not be too technical. I don't have the source files but even so, I'm willing to try and convert the video to something more compatible even losing resolution, in order to allow her to edit it in Final Cut.

Can anyone help with suggestions? I don't want to purchase any software or codecs since this is a small non-profit project she is doing.

Thanks.

Steve
Chicago, Illinois USA

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: XviD & PCM Codecs in Final Cut?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:44:48 pm

The only codec that you could export to is DV AVI. That is if your version of Vegas has that option.

The only other way is quick and dirty. Create a DVD then have the other person rip it into an FCP friendly codec. Not the highest quality but it works.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:30:09 pm

Slightly more complicated (and I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will work) if you had quicktime and apple's Prores codec for windows on your PC, you could probably use Mpeg Streamclip to create a Prores (video) + aiff (audio) quicktime file that would load into FCP on a mac... maybe...

Return to posts index

Steve Veach
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:32:52 pm

If ProRes encoder for Windows is free, no problem...I'll try it. I see only free decoders online, since Apple wants PC users to be able to play their files obviously.

Steve
Chicago, Illinois USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]