FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Crash when esta Raid Connected

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
System Crash when esta Raid Connected
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:18:38 am

Every time I plug my esata raid in my system crashes. I replaced one of two drive enclosures the other day due to a power supply failure. The original drive enclosure was a 5 bay SATAMAX from Promax, that I replaced with a Sonnet Fusion 500p and that's when the trouble started. I was told the enclosure should work and has worked in other systems with a SATAMAX drive enclosure as the second unit, but there's obviously something very wrong. I double checked the esta PCI card and downloaded the latest driver from CalDigit, but the system still crashes. Any ideas?

Here's the system:
Mac Pro with Dual Quad Core 3.0 intel processors
Snow Leopard (updated)
Kona 3 card (Updated)
FCP Studio 3 (updated)
Cal Digit esata 4 slot raid PCI Card (updated)

ESATA Raid 1: Tower 1-SATAMAX 5 bay, Tower 2 - SONNET Fusion 500p (Total 5TB)

ESATA Raid 2: Stardom 8TB Tower

Drobo 2: Via FW-800

Thanks in advance!

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: System Crash when esta Raid Connected
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:40:56 am

[Bill Paris] " I was told the enclosure should work and has worked in other systems with a SATAMAX drive enclosure as the second unit"

Whenever someone here says, "I was told," that sends up big red flags. Over the years those three words have almost invariably become: "I was told wrong."

The bottom line is, your issue might be that the enclosures are not actually compatible, or it could be the brand of drives in the two enclosures are incompatible, or the drives are not the ones recommended by Sonnet, etc., etc. etc.

You have several variables in play and you may be able to track down one that's causing your crashing, or you may never find it.

You will need to work systematically to isolate the issue if you can. For example, if you haven't done it yet, you need to make sure the new Sonnet RAID runs correctly on it's own on that computer without the older one attached? Then go on from there...

BTW, it is not at all uncommon that two very different RAID enclosures will not be compatible running off one controller.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24:29 am

David,

Thank you for your response ..... yes, it does seem I may have been told the wrong information.

Regarding the drive enclosures working separately .... they actually won't crash the system when only one enclosure is attached, only when both are attached at the same time.

I think I need to make some calls to the manufacturers regarding the compatibility of these two enclosures.
I'll post something when I get more information.

In the meantime, if anyone has had good/bad experience mixing drive enclosures please let us know ..... thanks!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2011 at 1:58:53 pm

Did you simply remove the drives from your SATAMAX and put them in the Fusion?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:35:28 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for your response...

Yes I did.... I was in the middle of a project when the enclosure died, so I tried to keep all the drives in the same slots and keep editing. After the system started crashing, I was forced to re-ingest the footage from the original XDCAM camera files and re-connect the footage to my timeline.

I would off load all the footage to another drive and re-stripe the drives/raid, but it won't even stay up for more than a few seconds.

One more thing I didn't mention before...... I'm using a program called "Softraid" .... I wonder if that could be the root of the issue?

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:44:35 pm

[Bill Paris] "I'm using a program called "Softraid" ...."

And, which RAID level are you working with?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:27:43 pm

[Bill Paris] "Yes I did.... I was in the middle of a project when the enclosure died, so I tried to keep all the drives in the same slots and keep editing. After the system started crashing, I was forced to re-ingest the footage from the original XDCAM camera files and re-connect the footage to my timeline. "

I would think this has a lot to do with it. I would have moved the dead enclosure drives in to the working enclosure. Then I would have bought a new set of new drives and filled the 500p, raided the 500p and then moved the data from the working/dead enclosure drives to the 500p. Then you take out the dead enclosure drives from the working enclsoure and return the working enclosure drives. Hope you can follow that.

[Bill Paris] "One more thing I didn't mention before...... I'm using a program called "Softraid" .... I wonder if that could be the root of the issue?"

That too. Do you have a raid protection on there? Why use Softraid?

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:58:33 pm

David and Jeremy,

Thanks you for you thoughts and suggestions.

My Raid Configuration is "Raid 0"
I started using Softraid for the drive failure alerts...... they've mapped the leading indicators of drive failures and alert you when your system exhibits any of those symptoms.

I talked with the guys at Sonnet Technologies and they told me there should be no conflicts with the drives used or the un-matched enclosures. They also said that they work closely with Softraid and have never had any issues with their product.

I also talked with Promax tech support ..... one idea that was kicked around after looking over the Kernel Logs from the computer was that the trouble could stem from the power supply quitting while the computer was on.

I'm also wondering if the PCI ESATA card could be bad since I have another problem that occurs even when the unmatched drives are disconnected. I'm getting "dropped frames due to slow disks" messages even though I'm running all media and render files on my other raid (Stardom 8TB ESATA drive). I've tested the though-put using the Kona 3 Hardware test as well as measured the data rates via "istat" and everything looks good.

The common element with both problems.... the ESATA PCI Card. Could there be an issue with the card? It's a Cal Digit card with 4 slots.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:21:26 am

[Bill Paris] "The common element with both problems.... the ESATA PCI Card. Could there be an issue with the card? It's a Cal Digit card with 4 slots. "

Very well could be. As was mentioned, there's a lot of variables here. Call CalDigit and see what they say. Sonnet and ProMax have very smart people on board, but I still would be wary of a raid made in another enclosure, and then switched to another with a software Raid format. Sonnet would know the best, but me being a curmudgeon would suspect that things aren't up to snuff. I'd remake the raid in the new enclosure if you can afford the drive space, but perhaps that's just me.

Certainly the easiest thing would be to swap the Sata card. If sonnet is confident that the raid should be running with Softraid and the old enclosure, then perhaps try a Sonnet Sata card. I don't know, man, you are just going to have to try until it works, or reformat the raid. What's the total capacity of the raid?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:08:06 am

Jeremy,

Thanks for your thoughts.... I may try to replace the card since I'm having the "dropped frames" issue and I have quite a bit of material on the un-matched raid I would rather not have to re-capture. I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks again!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:28:20 am

Jeremy and David,

I may have found the problem..... it turns out when I installed the new drive enclosure I used the cable that came with the unit...... the problem: the ESATA cable that came with the unit is longer than the one from the old box. (Ok that was a dumb move!)

I have the raid working at the moment and trying to off load the footage that matters. Once I have the important file off loaded I'll re-stripe the raid and hopefully everything will work?

Thanks again for your help with this issue, hopefully thats it!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]