FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with viewing clips in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Lancit
Problem with viewing clips in FCP7
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:40:34 am

I keep all project, capture scratch and raw video files on outboard drives, but suddenly my viewer is stuttering when I simply playback a clip. It will pause before it starts, then run ok for about 4-5 seconds and then progressively stutter until it stops. Audio keeps going, but it's like the video can't keep up with it. Impossible to edit this way. What is going on? Time Machine is off.

I just recently purchased a DROBOPro setup to backup everything. . I connected it to the computer with a iSCi cable and ran Time Machine to get a complete backup. After that completed, the problem started appearing, so I turned that off thinking that it might have something to do with it
The problem is present across all projects on all drives.
Using IMac 2.93Ghz Intel corei7 machine with 4GB of RAM.
All the outboard drives are either Lacie or G- Drives. they are daisy-chained together and I have a total of 5 drives connected. They have been working fine, and actually never had this problem in over 15 months. I have defragged the boot drive and it is now clean, but still having the same problem.
My material is shot invAVCHD 1920X1080 and ingested natively. The sequence settings are all for DV NTSC 48hz. I am using FCP7 on an IMAC 2.93ghz quad core i7 machine with 4gb of RAM. Latest quicktime version and OSX 10.6.7

Would backing up to the DroboPro somehow have caused this problem?

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: Problem with viewing clips in FCP7
on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:31:01 am

I don't know the answer, but there are various tests you can try.

Trashing the prefs is always a good thing to do as a starter.

Try playing the video direct from a drive and not through FCP. Does it play correctly? If not, you have a computer problem, not an FCP one. If you've made recent changes to a computer and then it doesn't work properly, the likelihood is that the changes are responsible. Undo software changes - restore the system to before the changes and try it. Check the drives, using a speed tester. Blackmagic have a free one in their software suite. Maybe you have a faulty drive from all that backing-up.

Having done all that, sit back, drink coffee, and have a logical think. One way or another, you'll work it out by a process of elimination.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]