FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing Flip Cam Video with Cannon 5D Mark II footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jocelyn Hassenfeld
Mixing Flip Cam Video with Cannon 5D Mark II footage
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:47:36 pm

I'm creating a project in Final Cut Pro 7.03 - Most of my footage shot on the Cannon 5D Mark II so I've set up my sequence specific to the Cannon footage. (Thanks to a online tutorial that helped me customize the settings so I don't have to render the footage - It's now HDTV 1080i (16:9)- Pixel Aspect Ratio Square - Field Dominance Upper - Editing TImebase 30 - Timecode Rate 30 Non-Drop Frame, Compressor H.264 Audio 44.1 which seems to be working beautifully!)

A few clips for this project were shot on the fly on a Flip Camera Ultra HD. I'm in the process of converting the flip camera footage in MPEG Streamclip for Final Cut Pro usage.

Here's my question....What settings should I use while exporting the flip cam footage in MPEG Streamclip so it works along side the Cannon footage settings?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thank you,
Jocelyn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixing Flip Cam Video with Cannon 5D Mark II footage
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:46:31 pm

Whatever online tutorial you watched...it is wrong. FCP doesn't work with H.264 very well at all. At first, the first few minutes you have in a sequence...fine. But add more and more, and the system slows down to a crawl. Why? H.264 is processor intensive...takes a lot of resources to decode it for use in editing.

It is not an editing codec. This is something stated here on the Cow daily. Often more than once daily.

Convert the footage to ProRes. Convert ALL of the footage to ProRes...the Canon footage, the GoPro Footage. Convert to an editing codec...and that is ProRes. Will the file size increase? Yes it will... just something you have to deal with in working with editing codecs.

YOu can use MPEG STREAMCLIP for the GoPro footage...and you can with the Canon footage if you like. Or you can use Compressor. But no matter what, you need to convert all the footage.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jocelyn Hassenfeld
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:31:13 pm

Thank you for setting me straight. I'm in the process of converting all my files to Apple ProRes 422.
Jocelyn

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:06:39 pm

Shane is right.

There is a "log and transfer" plugin for Final Cut Pro that allows you to import your 5D MII or 7D. This transcode to prores for you.

You'll have to transcode the flipcam to ProRes.

But, once you log and transfer the footage into final cut, just drop it onto the timeline and the software sets up the sequence for you. You don't have to mess with the settings.

Canon has the plugin on their website. It's a free update for final cut.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:17:16 pm

I try to avoid recommending the Log and Transfer plugin and process with Canon DSLR. Lately too many people have been having issues where footage has been cut off...shortened. Magic Bullet Grinder is my next choice...it is fast (throws one clip at each processor you have...8 core mac, 8 clips transcode at once)...or the free option, MPEG STREAMCLIP. Or COmpressor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:11:50 pm

I've never had any issues with log and transfer. This is the first I've heard about it.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite