FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem and Issue with FCP to Uncompressed AVI - AVI for Windows User

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giovanni Mattucci
Problem and Issue with FCP to Uncompressed AVI - AVI for Windows User
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:12:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked TO DEATH, but I haven't been able to find a good strait answer about exporting to an Uncompressed AVI.

Right now I have a project that is about 15 minutes long. Someone needs an uncompressed AVI for WHATEVER reason AND It has to work on a PC.

I know it is an option within FCP, but here is the issue:
When I try to export a uncompressed AVI out of FCP, I only get about 45 seconds of it. The SAME issue happens in Compressor.

This issue disappears when a compression type is used, but the file ends up looking terrible. For now what I've ended up doing was encoding out a .DIVX file and changing it to a .AVI file. (Haven't tested on PC yet).

So I'm looking for answers on two things:
1. What is wrong with FCP that it is exporting only 45 seconds of uncompressed footage to AVI?

2. Does anyone have a proven reliable way to get a PC compatible AVI out of FCP/Compressor?

The version of FCP I am using is 6.0.6.
I have Flip4Mac installed as well as MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 for QT installed.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: Problem and Issue with FCP to Uncompressed AVI - AVI for Windows User
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:52:01 pm

Don't create Avi's on a Mac.
Because you will end up with stuff like this.
Get a Quicktime with animation or ProRes codec to the Windows platform.
Then create a AVI.

Windows ProRes Decoder is available.

Return to posts index

Giovanni Mattucci
on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:03:06 pm

Thank Paul Jay, really appreciate your help on this.

What would be the best program to use on the Windows side? Adobe Media Encoder? Super?

Again however, I'd still like to hear if there is a successful way to create a PC compatible (and of good quality) AVI on a Mac.

Having to move a file over to a PC to have it converted is an additional step I'd rather cut out (the reason why I bought something like Flip4Mac). It is a step I'll gladly take of course, b/c I just want this file out of my hair.

Would love to hear of any other magical way to create an AVI on Mac :)

Thank again.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:36:58 pm

Well, i just have bad experiences creating AVI's on the Mac, so i quit doing it.
There's always something wrong.

You could try Telestream Episode on the Mac side.
On the Windows side. Sorenson Squeeze, Adobe Media Encoder.

But you can also try them on the Mac side.
Maybee it works nowadays.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:53:05 am

Hi Giovanni,

[Giovanni Mattucci] "2. Does anyone have a proven reliable way to get a PC compatible AVI out of FCP/Compressor? "
No problem on making AVI in your Mac, the problem is that AVI in Mac support just few codecs.
You can not get something like a 8/10b Unc 422 AVI.

[Giovanni Mattucci] " (the reason why I bought something like Flip4Mac). "
Nothing to do with F4Mac. That is to deal with WMV files.

Giovanni, don't break your head and fallow Paul advice.
Send the Prores files to the PC. Probably won't be necessary to convert to AVI, but if need, is always much better to do the conversion in the PC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Giovanni Mattucci
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:13:42 pm

Well I ended up moving the files over to a PC and encoded them there from some Apple ProRes files.

Thanks to everyone for help on this :)

[Rafael Amador] "Nothing to do with F4Mac. That is to deal with WMV files.)."

I was using Flip4Mac as an example of doing something natively on the MAC vs. going to a PC, to save production time.

Thanks though Rafael.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 26, 2011 at 2:55:24 am

I got QuickTime 7 itself to export an uncompressed AVI - QuickTime 7 - not QuickTime X. QuickTime X wouldn't recognize, but QuickTime X did fine.

Additionally, I went to MPEG streamclip and chose "AVI" - but the only uncompressed item I saw was FCP's 4:2:2 uncompressed, which probably won't work on a PC, but its worth testing. while writing this post, I sent a 7 min clip to see if it worked. The advantage of MPEG Streamclip will be batch processing (and the cost can't be beat.) Time: it took about RT about 8 min. It was 61 gigs (thats' about right for uncompressed 1080i 30).

But I fear that file is a FCP uncompressed codec, not a fully uncompressed work-with-a-pc code.

It's building the AVI that makes it difficult. QuickTime 7 probably can do this for you (but no batch! :( ) - not FCP or Compressor (in this case- they'll pick the wrong uncompressed codec - something that's not compliant with the AVI- a non standard codec.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:53:24 am

[Jeff Greenberg] "Additionally, I went to MPEG streamclip and chose "AVI" - but the only uncompressed item I saw was FCP's 4:2:2 uncompressed"

Select BMP in Streamclip. This is the same RGB uncompressed codec as None in QT wth WRAW FourCC.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:21:16 am

[Michael Aranyshev] "[Jeff Greenberg] "Additionally, I went to MPEG streamclip and chose "AVI" - but the only uncompressed item I saw was FCP's 4:2:2 uncompressed"
Select BMP in Streamclip. This is the same RGB uncompressed codec as None in QT wth WRAW FourCC."

When exporting an AVI, MPGStreamclip shows all the QT available codecs, but the truth is that just few of them are supported in AVI on Mac.
The real options are the one that QT Pro shows on export: Cinepak, DV, DV50 and NONE.

NONE, BMP, PNG, TGA as Michael points are all 8b RGB. Uncompressed, yes; but I don't think is what the PC guys are waiting for.
In video Uncopressed is YUV. RGB is graphic stuff. I wouldn't send RGB stuff unless required.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Feb 18, 2015 at 9:09:40 pm

THANK YOU! We have software that needs uncompressed AVI's for an LED ribbon board and previously we had to transfer the files to an old machine to get them to work. This works and will save us a ton of time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]