FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam 50fps import to fcp sound sync problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rich tru
xdcam 50fps import to fcp sound sync problems
on Apr 24, 2011 at 9:14:00 am

HI

I shot on canon f35 on CF cards - In XDCAM transfer I see all my shots running on the timeline in sync, everything is perfect 50/mbs and 50fps. When I send to FCP 7 and drag the clip onto the timeline and play - the clip is completely out of sync and scratchy . Also I have tried every codec setting to change the fps, I need the settings to be 50i and not 25p as I see 25p under the vid rate column and I think this is throwing it out of sync . I need the correct and best quality preset and capture settings at 50i on FCP7 and also someone to help fix my problem with sync.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: xdcam 50fps import to fcp sound sync problems
on Apr 24, 2011 at 9:44:24 am

Can you have a look to the QT Info window and to the FC Browser and tell us what you get in terms of fps and field order?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 10:20:36 am

FC browser:

1920 x 1080 25fps, XDCAM HD422 1, 48khz, 16bit NONE,

AXDCAM TRANSFER:

MPEG HD, 50 Mbps, 50i, 1920 x 1080,

codec apple xdcam hd422 1080i/50 (50 Mb/s CBR)

this ok??

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:01:30 am

The settings look fine from here Rich

You've shot XDCAM HD422 1080i50 and thats whats being reported by XDCAM Transfer and FCP.
As for the frame rate disparity, theres no error ... Vid Rate 25fps in FCP is correct for 50i footage.

Create a new sequence in your project, open the new sequence and drag one of these imported clips into it and, if asked, click "Yes" to conform sequence settings. Assuming you are importing the clips to an adequately performing media drive then the clips should play back properly without sync loss.

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:22:51 am

I have done exactly that...

The clip is brought into XDcam transfer from CF folder, it runs perfectly in sync there. I then import via xdcam import icon (bottom right) it sends it directly to my FCP project, then I drag the clip into timeline - it asks to change I click yes! then on playback on the timeline there is popping and radical sync problems.. its urgent and i need to fix this!!!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:37:46 am

Import where Rich? Where is the imported media physically stored ... are you editing directly from the CF card or are you transferring the footage to Scratch Disc, and if so, what are you using for that ?

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:05:31 pm

Ok, let me clarify and see where Im wrong.

The CF folders are on my ext hardrive as - (CLIPS001, CLIPS002 ect), I tried dragging them directly to FCP - error message, and as they are (CIF,XML.MXF.SIF) I cant view on QT and only in XDCAM transfer. When open in XDCAM I can view and edit clip - this is fine! On bottom right of XDCAM transfer there is import - when i click this the clip moves directly into my FCP browser, then when dragging into my timeline it asks to change the sequence setting to match the clip - I click yes. Then when viewing on time line - pic runs corectly but sound is out of sync and frame dropping - its like i loose every half word during the interview.

???????

I assume my scratch is on my ext hardrive.

rich

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:20:09 pm

In the XDCAM Transfer application, open the Preferences window (Cmd comma) and switch to the Import tab ... thats where you set the "Import Location" ... where is your Import Location set?

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:41:51 pm

location is EXT HARD DRIVE

tick - new folder
tick - new clip title
tick - in out etc
tick - add index number

tick - write FCP XML
tick - open imported...

on EXT HD i see the folder with a QT (movie runs fine and sync) and XML. when I drag this to FCP - i see the folder only with one clip - drag this into timeline and still the sync is gone and sound almost seems to run too fast with mini cuts in it.??????

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:58:31 pm

location is EXT HARD DRIVE

tick - new folder
tick - new clip title
tick - in out etc
tick - add index number

tick - write FCP XML
tick - open imported...

on EXT HD i see the folder with a QT (movie runs fine and sync) and XML. when I drag this to FCP - i see the folder only with one clip - drag this into timeline and still the sync is gone and sound almost seems to run too fast with mini cuts in it.??????

Andy,

just viewed in QT after XDCAM sent it to my Ext HD - the qt palyback (.mov) is out of sync too.

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:59:24 pm

Andy,

just viewed in QT after XDCAM sent it to my Ext HD - the qt palyback (.mov) is out of sync too.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:15:53 pm

Rich
Is this happening for all clips from one CF card or for all clips from all CF card copies? How were the CF card copies made? Its possible something got mangled during the data dump if it wasn't checksum verified. What you're viewing in XDCAM Transfer is likely just the proxy hence all seems well there ... but the actual full res rewrap QT movie rewrap displaying problems. Do you still have the original CF media? If so, can you try importing the media directly from the CF card rather than the copy. And if you have the camera too ... can you verify that baseband playback of the original media from the camera is ok?
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:25:01 pm

Hi Rich

Having a scout around the net looking for any info about your issue ... am guessing you are using media from a Canon XF305 camera right?
Instead of using XDCAM Transfer for the ingest, maybe it would be worthwhile your using the appropriate FCP Log and Transfer plugin for this specific media.

Here's a link:
http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/8200844000.html

Also here:
http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/8200842800.html

Here's the download link:
http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0040354.asp?model=

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:39:02 pm

andy,

the cf footage was fine and in sync on playback through the camera. but as we shot on only 2 cards we had to transfer the footage on HD (by dragging it over) deleting the originals from the CF card and shooting more. as i say its fine in playback in xdcam transfer. there must be another way???

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:53:47 pm

Rich, if its anything like XDCAM HD then what you view in XDCAM Transfer is just a proxy, not the high res media itself (so the proxy can conceivably be fine even if the high res is damaged) ... it may be different with the XF305, there may be no proxy as with XDCAM EX. Regarding your workflow .... maaaaan. Don't "drag copy" thats just madness. You MUST perform a verified data copy as you are dealing with your camera negatives here. If you don't have the right software for the job then GET IT. Seriously. But I digress ... read my previous post, download and install the Canon L&T plugin, try and see if that handles your CF media copies better, hopefully all is well. :-)

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1130256

Return to posts index

Boris Jansch
CANON XF305 Import to FCP problems
on May 1, 2011 at 9:40:42 pm

I'm using FCP7.

I've been given some footage shot on the Canon XF305, copied from the CF card to a hard drive, which was sent to me.

Canon's Log and transfer plugin will not recognise the clips because the file structure is slightly different I suspect.

Sony XDCam import plays the clips perfectly but when they are imported, the audio is out of sync and unusable.

Does anyone know of a way to restore the file structure so it looks like the original CF card?

I don't know what else to do so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Boris J.

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:26:22 am

cont...

there is frame dropping in sound - picture runs perfectly.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 24, 2011 at 12:08:26 pm

Nothing wrong on your setting.
How does the files play in FCs Viewer and in QT Player?
rafael

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:07:24 pm

Ok, let me clarify and see where Im wrong.

The CF folders are on my ext hardrive as - (CLIPS001, CLIPS002 ect), I tried dragging them directly to FCP - error message, and as they are (CIF,XML.MXF.SIF) I cant view on QT and only in XDCAM transfer. When open in XDCAM I can view and edit clip - this is fine! On bottom right of XDCAM transfer there is import - when i click this the clip moves directly into my FCP browser, then when dragging into my timeline it asks to change the sequence setting to match the clip - I click yes. Then when viewing on time line - pic runs corectly but sound is out of sync and frame dropping - its like i loose every half word during the interview.

???????

I assume my scratch is on my ext hardrive.

rich

Return to posts index

rich tru
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:57:57 pm

Andy,

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 24, 2011 at 8:08:44 pm

Try the Transfer Tool as stand alone.
rafael

Return to posts index

Philip Timm
on May 16, 2011 at 7:37:05 pm

This is something that I've not experienced first hand, but there are a LOT of people who are shooting on Canon XF305's and end up importing using the Sony XDCam app, and they're all experiencing this same audio out of sync/jerkiness problem.

I'm guessing that the Sony XDCam tool is being used because it'll actually SEE the MXF files, where the Canon app fails to even recognise them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the problem seems to be caused by failing to copy the rushes off of the CF cards properly. The MXF files alone are insufficient. There are additional files that need to be with the MXF, in a fixed folder structure before they will be recognised properly.

A lot of people don't seem to be copying their media from their camera rushes properly. That's why they have data wranglers on shoots nowadays; it's NOT just copy & pasting files.

This is yet another msg in a thread of no answers, but I hope someone DOES find an answer soon!

Return to posts index

kel russin
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:02:24 pm

Hi all,
Did anybody find a solution for this mess?

Return to posts index

Chris Cornwell
on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:31:30 am

Aloha everyone,

I was given a set of XF305 rushes that had been copied onto the hard drive. For what it's worth, I ran into the same audio syncing issues, but was able to import them without problems into FCP by replicating the folder structure on the card (CONTENTS/CLIPS001/INDEX.MIF + JOURNAL + JWO..") and logging and transferring them in FCP after installing the Canon FCP plugin.

Return to posts index

andre lavoie
on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:44:11 am

did a solution occurred?... i have the same out of sync-scratchy sound problem, and i received the mxf on a disc, already imported.... help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Nov 8, 2012 at 8:24:57 pm

Having the exact same issue here, metadata got screwed up and we only have the MXFs to work with. XDCAM Transfer Tool import the file in FCP but audio totally wacky. Any update/fix on that issue? MXF work fine in Premiere Pro CS6 or AVID. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 9, 2012 at 1:22:02 am

Hey Thierry

You say "exact same issue" ... can you confirm then that you are trying to import Canon XF305 (or similar) MXF media using Sony XDCAM Transfer software? If so then that is likely the issue. Sony's software is wrapping and tagging the media according to properties of Sony XDCAM HD clip format, not Canon's version. Try using Canon's own tools (XF Utility) instead ... or maybe you can try Convergent Design's FileConverter?

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Nov 9, 2012 at 2:45:53 am

I got the official word from Canon today... XDCAM TRansfer Tool for Final Cut is not compatible with Canon MXF files which require Canon's own XF plugin for importing to FCPro. Our problem is that the metadata was compromised (producers renamed folders and moved files around....) and I can only now work with the raw MXF video files. Canon says only solution is to transcode those file to a FCPro compatible codec. Doing that now using Adobe Media Encoder.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]