FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC Intra and Chroma Key Tip, maybe!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heck
AVC Intra and Chroma Key Tip, maybe!
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:28:59 pm

Hi. I just shot footage with my Panasonic HPX-370 on a clean green screen. Typically when I use FCP I insert either a 4:1:1 or 4:2:2 color smoothing filter, then do the chroma key, and use either a green or blue color suppressor, depending on green or blue background.

I shot using the AVC Intra codec and have discovered if you use the 4:2:2 filter with this codec, it creates several vertical lines in the finished key. If you do not use the 4:2:2 smoother, all is good. Wondering if it's the codec that doesn't like the filter. I used the 4:1:1 smoother, just for fun, and it's still there.

I guess it's a tip for you all or a question to see if anyone else has had this issue. This is the first shoot with this camera and using the AVC Intra setting.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: AVC Intra and Chroma Key Tip, maybe!
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:41:34 pm

Hi Jeff,
Sorry but you are using the Chroma Smooth filters wrongly.
- The 411 and 420 filters are to be applied to 411 or 420 stuff. The filter will work in a 422 or 444 sequence.
- The 422 filter is to be applied to 422 footage and only works in a 444 sequence.

The sequence codec needs to have more chroma samples than the footage so can retain the interpolated (smoothed) chroma.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:51:50 pm

Thanks Rafael! Makes perfect sense. Don't do a ton of chroma keying and relied on the settings of a friend.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:20:54 pm

Hi Jeff,
I haven't used it for CK, but for years the "Nattress Chroma Smooth/Sharpening" has been my "secret weapon" when editing DV footage. Is magic.
Drop the filter it in any DV stuff; render to any 422 codec, and -although won't look like DigiBeta- that won't look like DV anymore.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]