FORUMS: list search recent posts

InqScribe to Final Cut Pro question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Hill
InqScribe to Final Cut Pro question
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:23:30 am

Hi,

I think my co worker posted a similar question on the cow earlier, but I'm not sure where, so apologies for the double post. Anyway, here is our question:

We are working on a documentary that was shot mostly in Germany, and everyone in the documentary is speaking German. We have a translator saving the transcripts in InqScribe, then we bring those XML's into FCP and lay subtitles over the video so an English speaking editor can cut it. I believe we've done everything InqScribe says to do in this situation. We've created the FCP text template, exported from InqScribe as a Final Cut Pro XML using the template, and then imported the XML into FCP where the subtitles appear as text in a sequence at the proper timecode... Everything is working out well except that some of the text needs rendered. Definitely not good. On one computer, after about 3.5 minutes into the sequence the text needs rendered. On another computer, after about 2.5 minutes the text needs rendered. Are we doing something wrong? Has anyone else encountered this before? We would be very grateful for any ideas you might have.

Thank you,
-Sara

Computer 1:
Power Mac G5
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
Memory: 3 GB

Computer 2:
MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: InqScribe to Final Cut Pro question
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:18:42 am

That's a normal thing if you got a lot of subtitles and not enough of memory.
Even if FCP can't address more than 2G it still has to share the memory installed with all other apps and processes.
You might change the still cache in the FCP preferences to a higher value.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

Sara Hill
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:47:15 pm

Thanks Andreas! That was very helpful. I adjusted the still cache and that increased the amount of footage that didn't need rendering. One more question. I'm not sure if you know, but... even though that helped, that still didn't fix it. Ideally, we need more than just a few minutes to not be rendered. This will work with many of the clips, but there are a few clips that last for over an hour. Do you think if we upgrade our machine's memory that will fix this? Will we need to chop some of these clips up to fix this? Well, I can test that last one on my own, just wondering if you had any more insight.

Thanks again,
-S

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 24, 2011 at 10:08:58 am

Hi Sara,

More memory will help, but won't fix it (or maybe it will, depending on the amount of subtitles you got)
You additionally may set the playback quality to a lower value. This will require less memory per frame.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]