FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio drifting after export import or send to Soundtrack

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Göran Thorén
Audio drifting after export import or send to Soundtrack
on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:20:58 pm

Hi all!
I know that others have encounter this bug, yes it is a bug since I've been having it for a couple of years no.
Just wondering if anyone have found a workaround exept changing the speed to 99.89%?

This is the deal:

I have an audio track (48KHz 16bit, same settings in project)
Mark In and Out on timeline.
Choose Export/audio to aiff. (48KHz 16 bit setting)

Import that audio back in to project.
Drop it under the original audio (for comparison), play it back and what do you know, the imported audio is lagging the longer it plays
This is no issue on a short commercial but the longer the audio clip, the worse the lagging.

This exact problem happens if I send an audio clip to soundtrack, save it (with or without any effects) and play it back.

Why Oh why is this happening???

This started with FCP ver 6. I thought it had to do with my Mac at work and hoped that it would dissapear with ver 7. But now I just purchased version 7 for my home office and Installed it on a brand new Mac Pro and the problem lives on....

My solve for audio is exporting the audio, importing it to another Mac that runs Pro Tools, fix the audio, bounce it out and bring the file in to my project...
Now that is not the optimal workflow to say the least...

Husse

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio drifting after export import or send to Soundtrack
on Apr 20, 2011 at 11:51:32 pm

Actually the bug is not that FCP stamps a frame rate on audio (rather silly idea but it does have some slight merit), but that the frame rate is not based on the current sequence you are importing into but your default sequence settings. If your drift is .1%, then you have a difference in drop/non drop timecode. Some people have greater drift because the default may be 23.98 or 25 frames and the sequence is 29.97. It would be worth making extra sure that STP frame rate settings are also identical to your sequence.

This issue has been so common that there have been posts that discuss this specific problem at the rate of at least three a week for the last year. Matt Lyon wrote a very good tutorial on how to fix a program using XML where there is a lot of incorrect audio assets and also he discusses the fundamental problem and how to correctly import assets that match your current sequence.

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

I post this link weekly in the vain hope that other will search first and save me the task of such constant repetition which I am sure most regulars here just roll their eyes and say - another sync drift post, I hope Michael posts Matt's link again.

Once again many thanks to Matt.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:37:08 am

Thank's for the info Michael!
First of all, Believe me, I have spent hours trying to find posts in different forums that have encounter the same specific problem I have and found ONE that Isn't relating to other kinds of audio drifting.
Maby I'm a poor net detective but I do my very best...

Anyway that was a great article and I have had my suspicions that there was something about the xml data that was causing this.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:14:28 am

Unfortunately this is not working for me my sequence preset is set to 25 fps and 48 KHz 16bit and xml not showing and strangeness...

The story continues...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:14:59 am

[Göran Thorén] "Anyway that was a great article and I have had my suspicions that there was something about the xml data that was causing this."

The problem isn't in the XML, but in the way FCP stamps a frame rate which isn't based on your current sequence. Matt's tutorial tells you how to fix it using XML.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:44:42 am

Yes I have followed his tutorial but there is nothing strange in my settings. I have always used the correct default audui settigs in my projects and I if I check an exported xml, it's all 25 fps and ntsc false.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
This is a Ver 7 issue!!!!
on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:51:40 am

Ok!
Definetly a major bug!
I've tried the same workflow in my buddys computers and luckily he runs both ver 6 and 7 on two different Macs.
Ver 6, works like charm, ver 7 same problem!

Return to posts index

Daniel García
Re: This is a Ver 7 issue!!!!
on Aug 23, 2011 at 2:13:32 am

Did you really fix this by going back to version 6?
I have this same problem http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1141173 but I don't think a downgrade to fcp 6 is feasible for me ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]