FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to reduce sunlight in one corner of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Gulledge
How to reduce sunlight in one corner of video
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:29:01 pm

We are also trying to reduce the glare in the bottom left corner of this video. Is there any way to fix it without affecting the entire screen? Borris brightness/contrast only helps so much.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: How to reduce sunlight in one corner of video
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:50:04 pm

Sure! you draw a soft-edge elliptical matte that covers that portion of the screen and adjust highlights accordingly. Colorista and Apple Color both have this capability built-in, making this kind of fix duck soup. In FCP, you have to use a combination of filters, matte, soft edge, and 3-way color corrector. This is the kind of thing you should take the time to learn, as it lays the foundation for all kinds of compositing tricks that are very, very good to have up your sleave.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:58:35 pm

Thanks so much for your time and useful information.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:56:27 pm

David.... thanks for that tip!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:16:06 pm

[Frank Giardina] "David.... thanks for that tip!"

Anytime Frank. Especially for you, because you always say thanks. Your mommy obviously taught you well...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:21:54 pm

David... I'll tell her you said that, she'll get a kick out of it. I'm self taught and trying to build a small business for my boys, plus trying to stay one step ahead of the pack. This forum, with experts like you, helps me more than I can express. Everyone is so eager to give back, so to speak. I do what I can to help when I can too.

Thanks Again!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:20:32 pm

You can do it fairly easily with just the 3 way cc. Use the eye deopper to select that luma range or do it manually. Adjust the luma range area until the matte has a nice soft edge. Then lower the brightness, etc.

But a better idea might just be to duplicate the layer above itself. Then matte out (with 8 ppoint garbage matte - I hear FCP X will boast 10 points!) a good chunk of leaves from above and then move them down onto the bright area. Make sure to soften the matte. Will only work well if the camera is locked down.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:54:06 pm

You can take this to color and use the HSL Qualifier, key on luma that specific region and try and reduce the highlights.

If this shot does not have a lot of motion, you could duplicate this clip. On the top clip reduce your highlights. Then mask that portion only with a bit of feather.

That background may be too blown out to salvage, but give it a shot.

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com

Return to posts index

Heather Gulledge
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:00:02 pm

Thank you both. I will try both options and definitely look for tutorials. I want to learn all I can possibly learn so this goes faster for me.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:52:27 pm

Google: Paul Crisp Garbage mattes.
It will make the masking easy.
Tom

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:50:38 pm

With both the HSL key in Color or Limit Range HSL keying in the 3WayCC, you can not only reduce the blown out highlight, but you can color it blue so it looks like sky poking through. You will need to soften the key.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:36:35 pm

Lots of great ideas here on how to fix this.
I would offer one more that is an old school trick.
Sometimes it is possible to 'steal' a piece of the BG and use it to cover things like this. Could be tough due to all the edges created by the palms. Or the busy nature of the surroundings might make it easier to hide the fix. Hard to say for sure without trying. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:46:19 pm

As I look over this thread two things come to mind:

1) the left bottom corner is hot and does draw the viewer's gaze now.

2) when it's fixed using even the most cursory method, if the viewer's gaze is still focused on that section of the frame, Heather needs to work on the story, not the color grading.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]