FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D 24P to 29.97 ProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Windon
Canon 7D 24P to 29.97 ProRes 422
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:45:35 am

I have a project I am working on and one of our shooters accidentally filmed about 30 minutes of needed footage at 24P on a Canon 7D, and the rest at 30 on the 7D, it is going along with footage from an HMC150 at 29.97 frame rate. The project is 1920x1080 with 29.97 as the frame rate. I am trying to figure out the best way to convert the 7D footage shot in 24P so that it will match with the 29.97 footage (if that will even work). Panning footage just doesn't go very smoothly when it is integrated with the 29.97 footage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ivan Windon

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Canon 7D 24P to 29.97 ProRes 422
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:03:11 am

If the footage is broll and you need the movement smooth I would convert the footage to an I-frame codec and batch conform it in Cinema Tools to 29.97.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Ivan Windon
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:39:44 pm

Okay, just to make sure I am doing this right. I used compressor and converted it to ProRes 222 for progressive material. Then I opened up Cinema Tools (which I've never had to use before), imported the file after creating my database. Then told it to batch conform and left it on all the default settings and told it to use 29.97. It went through the process very quickly, 2 seconds total. Does that sound right, or am I doing something wrong still. The panning shot which is of a program with lettering on it still looks the same as if I do nothing at all to do and just import it into Final cut and render it.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:41:50 pm

Conforming 24p to 29.97 in Cinema Tools will speed up the footage, which I doubt is the desired result.

Instead, try using Compressor to convert the 24p footage to 29.97. Enable Frame Controls, set Output Fields to Progressive, and set Rate Conversion to Better (Motion compensated).

Return to posts index

Ivan Windon
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:54:17 pm

Okay, trying it now. I edited the ProRes 422 progressive settings and changed the video compression settings from current to Frame Rate 29.97, then set the rate conversion to Better, and wasn't sure what to do with the set duration part. I set it to be so source frames play at 29.97, however it looks like that changes the duration to 80% which is grayed out. I can change to 29.97 @30 and that puts the speed at a speed that is nearly 100%. Does that look right, or should I change something up.

Thanks,

Ivan Windon

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:55:22 pm

Regarding the speed of conforming, it's very fast because Cinema Tools is merely altering the clip's metadata so that the clip will play back at the new frame rate. There's no re-encoding or heavy processing involved.

Be warned, however: Cinema Tools permanently and irreversibly changes the clip when conforming, so only conform a copy of the original clip in case you need to revert to the original.

If you use Cinema Tools to conform 24p to 29.97, it is merely changing the clip's metadata so that the clip will play back at a faster frame rate. This will effectively speed up the clip and shorten its duration.

If you don't want to do this, then use the Compressor method.

Regarding using Compressor to change 24p to 29.97 (30p), I neglected to mention an important step:

In the Encoder pane of the Inspector window, click on the Video Settings button. Make sure Frame Rate is set to 29.97. In the Frame Controls pane, leave Duration set to 100%. This should give you the result you're looking for - a 30p clip that is the same duration as the original 24p source clip.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:13:14 pm

The Cinema Tools method will look the best, but as Alan mentioned it is simply changing the metadata so that the clip plays 29.97 fames per second instead of 24 - thus shortening the clip and speeding up motion within the shot.

Using Compressor to create new frames will yield the same duration, but in my opinion wont look as clean. Even on best I often get misinterpreted motion and other uglies in the results.

The method you go with really depends on what the subject matter is. Experiment with a clip or three and go with whatever works best for the material/subject matter.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Ivan Windon
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:39:43 pm

I will try both. I just converted the footage using compressor, so I have that to compare against. The footage is of a bride getting ready, there are some dolly shots from side to side that are what really are the issue. The other shots are more static so they are not as much of an issue with jagged play back. I can play around with slowing the footage down some and see if I can balance it all out. Just have to find the one that works best.

Thanks,

Ivan Windon

Return to posts index

Ivan Windon
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:54:59 pm

Well the preview edit is finished with the footage that was converted from 24p. You can view the video at . Can you tell what footage was 24p and what was 60i. Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Ivan Windon

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 1, 2011 at 10:33:00 pm

The first couple slider shots are the only spots that any stutter stuck out to me.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Ivan Windon
on May 2, 2011 at 1:51:58 pm

That's pretty much what we saw. Not sure if I can get it removed completely or not. It does look better than it did however. Fortunately this is not something that comes up very often, in fact this is the first time I had to deal with such a thing.

Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Ivan Windon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]