FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut to Vegas to Blu-Ray workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Stephans
Final Cut to Vegas to Blu-Ray workflow
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:38:38 pm

I'm trying to prepare for a small (test) blu-ray project and need some tips or advice concerning the workflow.

Content is recorded by JVC GY-HM100U as MOV files on SD cards. I think thats 1080i at 35mbps.

Clips are taken to FCP timeline for editing.

For our most recent work we want to try making a Blu-Ray that is 60 minutes long. I understand I can't stay on the MAC if I want custom menus on the BD unless I upgrade to fancy authoring systems that are out of my price and experience range.

My thought is to take the final edit from the MAC to my Windows 7 machine with Sony DVD Architect Pro, which I think has more options for menus.

Thus far in my limited editing experience I've only made short MOV clips for a website (H.264) so I have questions and need advice.

1- Once I'm done editing in FCP whats steps would be best (meaning highest quality final product). I've read various options here and on other forums and can't get my brain to soak it up.

One place says go from timeline to Compressor and make H.264 file, and separate AC3 audio file. Another post mentioned taking the timeline cut to Compressor to code as ProRes422, and then move that entire (big) file to the Windows machine.

Question is -- whats best?

2- Next, over on the Windows machine (assuming somebody here in FCP forum knows) are there settings that more experienced users prefer?

3- Along those same lines -- I just purchased a book about Sony DVDA and in the area about setting up a new Blu-Ray project is says "select standard MPEG2 1440 x 1080 60i or more advanced AVCHD 1440 x 1080 60i"

Two things hit me...

a- Why 1440 x 1080? Wouldn't 1920 x 1080 be full HD for Blu-Ray?

b- Considering my workflow options above, which is better MPEG2 or AVCHD?

Lastly, looking at my overall plan, does anybody have suggestions that would help me and keep quality as high as possible?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jimmy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]