FORUMS: list search recent posts

high speed RAID for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
high speed RAID for FCP
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:54:40 pm

We're looking to replace our RAID O set up with something newer and faster. I do a lot of ProRes 1080p and uncompressed HD work and my current set up just isn't sustaining live playback with multiple layers, even with rendering, so I'm looking for something that can handle speeds around 600-700 Mbs and in a RAID 5 or 6 configuration. I think my current set up runs around 200 Mbs.

Right now I'm running Ciprico Media Vault with RAID 0 configuration, that gets backed up to a Drobo every night. I'd love to eliminate the Drobo and go with probably a RAID 5 set up. I've seen all these drives from Cal Digit and G-Technology. Can anyone make any other good recommendation.

I'm basically a 1 man band so I don't need anything crazy. Oh, I'm also using an Apple Fibre channel card. But hear the Atto cards are better.

Thanks.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: high speed RAID for FCP
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:57:50 pm

I hear your pain. I use a MediaVault on a regular basis and it's never a dull moment waiting for the next issue whether it be delayed write failures, dropped frames, etc.

For my FCP setup I went with a Caldigit HDOne 8tb Raid-5. All you need in your Mac Pro tower is a PCI-e controller card. The actual Raid controller is in the Raid tower. I have had it since last October and have not encounter any problems whatsoever. It runs in the 450 Mbps range.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:03:33 pm

Thanks Lee.

Forgot to mention price point. I'm looking for something that is about the same cost as the Media Vault was. Around $2,000 or so. thx

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:20:14 pm

Matt,

Go back in time and read my review of the CalDigit HDOne. There's a reason it's a tad more expensive than your ancient Media Vault. It's bigger, it's faster, and it's faster in both RAID 5 & RAID 6 protected modes. Whatever the difference is in cost, it's very small price to pay for the quantum leap in technology that CalDigit will give you.

On the other hand, perhaps you should wait for the TBolt drives coming our way. No one knows exactly what TBolt will bring to those who have legacy computers without built-in TBolt, but we are talking about technology that essentially creates single drives or two-drive RAIDs that have the same throughput as many of the bigger and more expensive of today's current crop of RAIDs.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:27:41 pm

Ya, I'm close to being in the market for a new raid myself. Also, will need a new Desktop.
Waiting for ThunderBolt!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]