FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive Clips: How to identify them in a Bin?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Progressive Clips: How to identify them in a Bin?
on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:46:19 am

When looking over clips in a Bin, in list view, I'm having difficulty distinguishing progressive clips from interlaced clips. For some reason both have field dominance attributes...

What are the sure-fire things to look for in bins, the ones that say, "Hey. This is a progressive clip!"

Thanks!
-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Progressive Clips: How to identify them in a Bin?
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:31:20 am

If the clips have entries that are upper or lower they are interlaced -- none = progressive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:24:58 am

This is a "FC Basic Forum" question.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:46:33 pm

Careful here. The field order setting in FCP is just metadata.

You can capture a progressive clip from tape and have it be marked as interlaced, but really its progressive (psf).

720p is always progressive. 23.98 material should always be progressive.

SD material can be interlaced or PsF, but it's always transmitted as interlaced (meaning one field at a time).

1080 can be interlaced, PsF, or true p.

Where it gets confusing is that you can at anytime mark the metadata on those clips as having any field order you want.

So, if you are completely unsure of the origin of your clips (perhaps someone missed marked them or forgot to turn the upper field PsF 1080 captures to none), the only way to truly check is with your eyes and a proper video monitor/capture card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:23:06 pm

Thanks, Jeremy.

Yes, I was having trouble with a few clips that looked progressive but still had a field dominance listed. I was hoping there was another attribute to look for in the bin or ? , instead of zooming in to look at frames and sometimes having to compare them to others. I typically work in interlaced so I'm not familiar with the look enough to trust my eye without zooming in.

Thanks, R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:44:04 pm

[Ralph Chaney] "Yes, I was having trouble with a few clips that looked progressive but still had a field dominance listed. I was hoping there was another attribute to look for in the bin or ?"

See, it's not that easy, as the field order flag can be changed at will. Some progressive video is transferred over an interlaced stream and flagged as interlaced, but it's really progressive.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but it can be. You have to trust your eyes and a monitor/capture card. Metadata can be changed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:26:42 pm

Hi Rafael,

Next time I post something like this it will go there...

Thanks,
R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:03:45 pm

[Ralph Chaney] "Next time I post something like this it will go there...
"

Great.

What Jeremy points is a rule of thumb in whatever application you use: Whenever you import footage, check by your self that the correct field order shows on the Browser.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:13:20 pm

Thank you much, David.

-R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]