FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimal Settings for Multi Cam Editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Scott
Optimal Settings for Multi Cam Editing?
on Apr 17, 2011 at 6:54:31 am

Hello ,
I would like to know if I am doing this right.
I have to 3 different HD cameras with differnt resolutions but all shot 29.97. I want to put them into multi-cam to edit and send to compressor to make a DVD. What is the best way and best codec settings to do this.
I know I should down convert to the lower resolution camera and make them all ProRes422 codec.
Should I Log and Transfer into FCP then send to Compressor to match codecs and frame size for multiedit?
Or should I drop files onto timeline and send to Compressor via makknig a Quicktime self contained file.
Whats the best way to not get large files sizes for multi edit and if I have problems with the RT dropping frmaes because of the large files eing used in multi edit what would be a bertter option??

Thanks John

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Optimal Settings for Multi Cam Editing?
on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:21:19 pm

Post the formats you've got to work with... ProRes LT might be just the ticket.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

John Scott
on Apr 17, 2011 at 4:12:58 pm

Thanks jerry,
Yes I have multiple clips 1. 1440x1080/29.97/HDV 1080i60/. 2. 1920x1080 AppleProRes/29.97/
3. 1280x720/29.97. So Jerry my main question is/are...
1. After Logging and Transferring into FCP, my clips then go to compressor to make match codec/resolution/frame rate? Use ProRes LT to keep my file size smaller? Is there anything special I need to make sure I do when transcoding into the Pro Res 422 LT? pixels settings, should be square? that kinda stuff....
2. When bringing my converted footage down to the timeline what should be the Easy Setup timeline setting be? Match what the comressed footage now is?
3. When finished editing do I then make Qucitime (self contained file) then send to Compressor to make a
MPEG-2 DVD file? Or send to DVDStudio Pro?
sorry for all the questions
Very grateful for any insight...
John Scott

Return to posts index

John Scott
on Apr 17, 2011 at 4:22:45 pm

Jerry, What would be your WorkFlow from start to finish?
If you had these multiple clips and wanted to use multi cam edit and then have your project on DVD
What would be your work flow with (setting for ProRes)??
John Scott

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 17, 2011 at 7:28:19 pm

You have it all right. I'd go to ProRes LT. I'd make it all the same at any rate, then go for it. You have the workflow down OK. Use the standard presets for ProRes but change the frame size. Might test down converting one file of each of the HDV and other 1080 footage to 720. See if it looks acceptable, then you'd not be up converting the 720 to 1080. Try it and post back. Use compressor preset for ProRes LT, but change the frame size to 1280X720 after you add it to your clip. THen copy the setting to the others.

Capture the HDV as ProRes... it will come in at 1080 so still needs scaling down, or the 720 needs scaling up... I'd scale down for a DVD delivery.. it's SD after all. But I think I'd edit in HD ProRes LT alright.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

John Scott
on Apr 17, 2011 at 7:45:57 pm

Thank You Jerry for all your insight....I did some test with small clips and everything seems to line up great for multicamedit.
John

Return to posts index

John Scott
on Apr 17, 2011 at 9:30:44 pm

Ok one more question.
I have the choice to Log and Transfer the raw BAV file through FCP, When I look at the files Item Properties
It says Vidrate:29.97/Frame Size:1440x1080/Compressor:HDV 1080i60/Pixel Aspect HD 1440x1080. and its a 12.8gig 50min clip.-
the thing I can't figure out is that the same clip injested through FCP Log and TRansfer and SonyXDCAM Plugin come out exctly the same when viwing thier properties in the FCP Browser
BUT**when I take those same clips and look at it through the info pane outside of FCP it says the file downloaded through SonyXDACM plugin its a MPEG-2 codec and at 1920x1080 dimension. while the clip that went through FCP Lg and TRansfer is still the same as in FCP??

Does it make a differnce in log.Transferring clips using FCP Log and TRansfer or the SonyXCam plugin?

Maybe I'm overthinking this and stick with what looks to be working...
John

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 17, 2011 at 11:52:54 pm

I think you're overthinking it all... if your tests worked OK, go with what you did there...

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]