FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Projects/Media to Disk Images

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Hawke
Saving Projects/Media to Disk Images
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:21:19 pm

Hello,

When we archive a final project, we transfer the project files, media, renders, etc. to multiple external hard drives (one for the client and one or two for us depending on the job)

Sometimes we need to make revisions to these archived projects and then I am forced to reconnect the files in FCP.

In Color however we are not always able to reconnect the files. In a lynda.com training video the instructor creates a disk image for the projects/renders because, "when files are moved out of this absolute path, media files become offline and Final Cut Pro roundtrips do not work as intended" (from the How To Use Exercise Files.rtf in the Ex_Files_Color15_Ess.zip.)

Would it be possible to use a similar convention of saving Final Cut Studio projects/media to a disk image on our RAID to be able to update archive projects more efficiently?

If we ran out of space on that disk image could we create a larger one with the same name and copy that info to it? Or adjust the size of the disk image without altering the absolute path structure?

Could there be any issue with having multiple disk images on the RAID?

The goal would be to transfer the disk image to an archive drive and retain the original absolute path structure allowing for updating of the project without relinking.

any advice would be great.

best,

-Richard

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Saving Projects/Media to Disk Images
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:50:37 pm

It would be better to use media manager to move your project to a new drive. Doing this will create a new project file that contains new correct links.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:59:22 pm

Macs see Disk Images as any other storage device so that idea, in theory should work.
But this kind of experimental workflows needs to be tested and see if, beside working properly, will really help or not.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Hawke
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:55:37 pm

Hi Zane and Rafael

Thanks for the responses

I tend not to use media manager because I like to keep my own system of organising the media. The media manager just dumps all media into one bin if i'm not mistaken and I like to have my encoded media near the "raw" media(.M2T, XDCAM, AVCHD) and other project files.

If I used media manager I believe I still have the problem of reconnecting Color renders but I'm not sure about that.

Rafael - I think your right.. It looks like i am going to have to test this out on a few projects.

Will update this post if I make any progress on this.

-r

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]