Gopro and FCP,MPeg streamclip frame rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul roubicek
Gopro and FCP,MPeg streamclip frame rates
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:28:41 am

hello all

Ok the Problem l am having.

l have Gopro 60Frame 720x Mpeg4 footage l need to put this footage into a library for late use for slow motions and normal speed once l have converted it to Prores using Mpeg Stream clip

the problem l am having is when l use the batch list in Mpeg stream-clip it gives me the Prores format media file but at a 50frame media clip not 60frame clip once converted (why)???????????????

Do l need to set the frame rate myself in the mpeg stream-clip app or should it converted to the frame rate it self???????????

l know l need to use cinema tools to conform for what l need at the time l need it, but at this stage l only want to make prores files and put the media files in to the library

if l use the stream-clip export to quicktime l can them go into options and change setting l cant change setting with options using batch list

any advice on what best to do would be great

thanks inadvance

paul

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Gopro and FCP,MPeg streamclip frame rates
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:40:51 pm

I just finished converting H.264 1920 x 1080 23,98 FPS into ProRess 4444 by MPEG Streamclip and I used batch list. In batch list I chose ProRes 4444, it's off-format codec which will retain the frame rate and resolution of the original footage. Leave the field with frame rate blank and it's gonna be okey. At the end you'll have your footage encoded into ProRes.

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:29:23 pm

HI Mate

Thanks for that information, the question l have though is. pushing the Gopro 720x 60frames into the Prores 4444, is that not to much for what the footage is and it wont give me any better pictures than l have already??.

understanding though what you have said in that stream-clip will see the true frame rate and convert to that 60 frames in Prores 4444 where is does not using the other Prores family settings Unless l manually put in the frames rate myself? this is where l am confused!!!!!

If l was to change the frame rate my self to 60frames (stream-clip on the main page) and convert to prores 422 (Normal)will this still give me the 60frames Prores file l need, will changing the frame rate my self do anything to the convert media file or will it give me the 720x 60frame rate?? what l need is the 720X 60frame rate but in a Prores codec not the 50frames it is giving me at present

at the end of the day l need to have these files in my library for use now and later on, and having it in the true 720X 60frames prores will allow me to copy/edit and CONFORM (using Cinema tools)when l need to slow things down or use normal speed when using the pictures, so if by what l am saying above is right will this work as l need it to?

hope the above question makes sense 2am in the morning for me

thanks again Paul

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:44:46 pm

I used ProRes 4444 for illustration only. I did not suggest you to use it. Sorry for confusion I caused. Let me make it clear: I do understand that you're having problems converting your material cuz your MPEG Streamclip offers you only 50 fps for 720P material shot at 60 fps. Is that correct? I use ver. 1.9.3.b5 and it has ProRess family codecs not based on frame rate and resolution. If I do not specifically set frame rate or resolution other than original, in output video my frame rate and resolution will match original footage. If you need simply to convert 720P 60 fps into any ProRes you just drop it into streamclip, choose appropriate prores type, set quality at 100 percent. That's it.

Everest Mokaeff
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
on Apr 16, 2011 at 2:08:25 am

hi mate

yer sorry should of explained my end better, l can get the prores 720x 60frames if l manually put the 60frames in my self l can then get the prores 422 my self but l am not sure if the prores 422 60frames is true?

so if l choose prores 422 (normal) and choose 60frames (manually) will this footage be as it was shot the 720x 60frames, if l don't choose the 60frames manually mpeg stream-clip gives me 50frames (auto)

so l guess what l am asking is if l do it manually will l get the 60frames and then have the true video as to what was shot???

hope to hear back from you

thanks paul

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:39:50 am

Paul,
I don't know what you mean by "true" but QT, FCP, MOTION, COLOR, AF, and so on would definitely think of such footage as "true". I don't know if it's in gospel but it is 60, 50 or whatever frame-rate you choose because it is conversion. Could you give me a sample of your footage so I could check it myself?

Everest Mokaeff
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 16, 2011 at 1:41:21 pm

In years I haven't heard of nobody complaining of MPGStreamclip about any kind of time-base related issues. In fact is very well considered fast standard conversions.
That might be a problem with the camera, since the GoPro now can records PAL time bases.
I would check this, and also if the same happens if you L&T on FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
on Apr 16, 2011 at 6:57:27 pm

hi there

no complains about Mpeg stream clip, the whole point of my question was.

1. l have 720x 60frame go-pro footage l want to make a prores file from the mpeg4 file, when l convert and leave the settings as is, the prores file comes out as a 50frame prores not the native 60frame.

if l manually change the frame rate my self to 60frames before conversion will this prores file then be 60frames??????????????

that's the only thing l am asking, l need to keep the files l make as a copies for a library for use now and for later times when its need.

thanks paul

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 16, 2011 at 7:20:26 pm

Hi Paul,
I understood the problem, but for me the only question is "why must I set it manually to p60, when the footage is already p60?".
The only question here is why the files come as p50 instead of p60.
That's what you should find out.
Why to force a time-base conversion, that your footage doesn't needs, and that means further picture processing?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
on Apr 17, 2011 at 1:33:40 am

hi Rafael

Ok then the question l guess is why is mpeg stream clip making my gopro footage filmed at 720X 60 frames into 720X 50frames wheb it converts in to preres?????

l the only way l can get 60frames is to tell Mpeg stream clip its 60frames and set it to that??

do you understand why its giving me 50frames not 60frames?????

paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]