FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why oh why? Why me, why today? - A story of a day in life with unexpectedly quitting FCP.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jari Kykkänen
Why oh why? Why me, why today? - A story of a day in life with unexpectedly quitting FCP.
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:58:40 pm

Interesting (and catastrofically annoying) problem that causes FCP to quit unexpectedly.

Please, feel free to put your 10 cents on the table...

Basic problem description:
A project is unstable on the Mac Pro, but works on the laptop.

Solutions tried:

Trashing prefs ...didn´t help

Restarting computer...didn´t help

Shift/restarting the computer...didn´t help

Copying the project file...didn´t help

Tried to solve the problem with FCS Maintenance Pack:

- Corrupt clip finder ...It didn´t find any
- Crash analyzer ...multible causes from "MPEG media" to "effects rendering"
to "Graphics card" to "Motion plugin"
to "corrupt font" to the infamous "UNKNOWN"

...didn´t help me much.

- FSC Housekeeper ...didn´t help
- Preference manager ...didn´t help
- Project repair ...didn´t help
- Quick fix ...didn´t!!!

Not using my custom keyboard ...didn´t help

Tried to open punch of other project, they all work fine. I´m getting closer now.

Changing the sequence settings from XDCAM EX to ProRes ...didn´t help

Shutting down the computer, smoking some cigaret and starting again
...hmm, kind of helped a bit, but didn´t solve anything.

Checking for Software Updates ...got them all.

Shutting of anything "heavy" from the project ...didn´t help.

Removing motn-files from the project ...didn´t help

Checking out Creative Cow forum ...didn´t find any help.

Exporting a XML file from the project ...didn´t help.

Running that XML trough FSC Maintenance Pack ...didn´t help

Running the FSC Maintenance Corrupt Clip finder on the new project made from the XML file ...WHAT! 6 CORRUPTED FILES FOUND!!! Am I really getting close now? This can´t be happening...

On this point I decided to write this post to let you guys in on the most exiting day of my whole life! So, I didn´t try to replace the corrupted files from the backup yet. I´m doing it now...

...still doing it.

I opened the project now. I´m giving it a little "push" (doing random stuff quite fast) ...

Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
Re: Why oh why? Why me, why today? - A story of a day in life with unexpectedly quitting FCP.
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:43:19 pm

[Jari Kykkänen] "
- Crash analyzer ...multible causes from "MPEG media" to "effects rendering"
to "Graphics card" to "Motion plugin"
to "corrupt font" to the infamous "UNKNOWN""

If you get different reasons for each crash, this is usually a sign of much wider problems with your system. It could also mean that you are pushing FCP too hard.

My software:
FCS Maintenance Pack - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
FCP Versioner - Backs up Final Cut Pro projects to XML and creates changelists for each revision
More tools...

Return to posts index

Jari Kykkänen
Re: Why oh why? Why me, why today? - A story of a day in life with unexpectedly quitting FCP.
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:49:03 pm

I´m definitely not pushing it... normal project, normal material. And the same project is working on the laptop? Beats me?

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:52:18 pm

[Jari Kykkänen] "normal project, normal material"

What is a normal project exactly?

My software:
FCS Maintenance Pack - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
FCP Versioner - Backs up Final Cut Pro projects to XML and creates changelists for each revision
More tools...

Return to posts index

Jari Kykkänen
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:02:44 pm

XDCAM EX 1080i50, ProRes rendering (actually ProRes timeline now), only about 15 minutes material on timeline all together, couple of motion texts (.motn), few Final Cut texts, few effects... really, nothing special. Not even color correction yet.

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:10:02 pm

On a different computer you also have a different user. Try creating a new user and attempt the project logged in as the new user.

This would eliminate user corruption.

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:39:42 pm

Could be bad sequence/project. Create new project and sequence. Copy your entire timeline, and paste into the the new sequence. Copy the whole bin, except for your main sequence, and paste into new project. Close old project, and test things out.

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:10:49 pm

I have been working on a series of 4-5 minutes videos all week. FCP has been crashing 5-6 times a day. Perhaps something got broken in a software update?

Return to posts index

Emiliano Tidona
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:11:34 pm

If the same project works on another computer maybe the problem is THE computer.
I would try a permission repair and a complete disk ceck for first.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:36:29 am

Jarl
There are many many reports of exactly this inconsistency specifically when using XDCAM MPEG HD footage. Users on MBP's editing day and night without issue whist some users on some MacPro's report erratic, unpredictable and inescapable crashing syndrome. Turning off thumbnail display in both browser and timeline is recommended and often seems efficacious, but ultimately most MacPro users in this situation eventually find that transcoding the footage to an all I-frame codec like ProRes is the only surefire remedy ... usually swiftly followed by an oath never to work with XDCAM footage ever again. Personally I'm in the "use it all day on a MBP without issue" camp.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Jari Kykkänen
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:06:12 pm

I think that´s it. I asked a few friends and the XDCAM EX -problems seem to pop out every now and then and the weird thing is that in many cases they work beautifully? I edited the entire last year in another company using basically only XDCAM EX material and there was no problems, but others have reported that all the other materials work fine, but the XDCAM EX is causing problems.

Thanks for your input. I have no time to solve the problem now because of the deadlines, so I just edited the basic sequence with the laptop, added some important material on the same timeline and used media manager to make another project out of it converting the material to ProRes on the way. I´m doing the same thing for the next one.

I need the "bigger" edit system for color correction, but the basic storyline I can do with the laptop.

Well, I´m really looking forward for the FCP X in june... This kind of problems should be fixed (and replaced with other problems).

Thanks and happy editing. Remember to get out of the room once and a while :-D

Return to posts index

Francois Xavier
on Apr 17, 2011 at 8:31:41 am

Odd, but in exactly the same situation problem vanished after trashing the Thumbnail file.

Documentary Director & Editor
Paris /France

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]