FCP 7 Audio working and not working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Lucchesi
FCP 7 Audio working and not working
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:29:21 am

Hello,

First time Creative Cow poster here. ;)

I've been using FCP 7 for about a year now on my MacBook Pro. I'm running a 2.66Ghz Intel I7 w/ 8GB of RAM.

I have video from an important interview (lots of it) that I've converted to .mov format from a relatively unusual format .mts. This format came from uploading Sony camera files to a PC harddrive directly without using a specified workflow format, something which I'll never do again. I used the Wondershare video converter to convert the files. When I import them into FCP7, I can then move them one by one into the viewer, and both the video and audio work fine. Once I then drop it into the timeline, the red line for audio appears above the file and indicates that its not going to work properly.

I've tried changing all sorts of settings (48Ghz to 44.1Ghz audio settings, changing stereo to mono, etc.) and have no idea why I can't get the audio to work in the timeline. This audio is important to the final product.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to fix this glitch?

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 Audio working and not working
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:35:20 am

FCP 7 needs audio to be 16 or 24 bit, 48khz uncompressed PCM (either aif or wav). Anything else is going to cause problems - rendering, clicks, sync drift etc. Compressed audio formats like mp3, m4a, aac etc must be converted.

Picture is also important as codecs like h264 (mpeg4) will also give you similar issues. Depending on what the mts files are, best practice is to transcode directly to ProRes422 with audio at 16 bit 48khz uncompressed.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:43:48 am

What Michael says, and I would suggest ClipWrap to transcode your mts files to ProRes.

It's cheap and works well.

Return to posts index

Richard Lucchesi
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:17:31 pm

Thank you both, ClipWrap worked like a charm! Appreciate it.
R~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]