FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Sound Disappearing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Florian Augustin
Final Cut Sound Disappearing
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:01:44 pm

Dear all,
I'm getting very frustrated here. I have been editing a project with FCP 7.0 for about one month now - everything has been working fine until a couple of days ago some audio tracks just simply stopped playing sound during playback. It began with a few tracks in one sequence, I restarted finalcut (as it had been messing around a little before and rebooting it had always solved the problem), then however it spread to other sequences and now almost all sound is gone except mp3 music files. I thought it might be because I sometimes use a stereo microphone on my Cannon HG20 HD-handycam and sometimes dont, thus maybe having two different frequencies that dont comply with the sequence-settings. However what irritates me is that the problem turns up so late... If I alternate the dB in one track and then click reset in the Viewer that track suddenly works again... Anybody got an idea what the problem could be? Help, please! I'm gonna freak out soon!
Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Final Cut Sound Disappearing
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:39:04 pm

There are several issues I see right off the bat from your post Florian:

[Florian Augustin] "I have been editing a project with FCP 7.0 for about one month now"

I hope you've updated to 7.0.3, because 7.0 was always buggy right out of the box.

[Florian Augustin] "now almost all sound is gone except mp3 music files"

You must convert MP3 to 48kHz .aiff audio files before editing in FCP, which are native to FCP.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:39:52 pm

[Florian Augustin] "almost all sound is gone except mp3 music files."

You are never, EVER supposed to use mp3 files in FCP. Convert them all to aiff's, 48kHz, 16 bits.

And since that camera of yours records in AVCHD, you need to convert the video to ProRes 422 BEFORE you start editing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how life with FCP goes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Florian Augustin
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:45:33 pm

Wow thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'll convert the MP3's then. But when I logg and transfer the AVCHD files into FCP don't they automatically get converted to a FCP-compatible format? Sorry for being a little ignorant when it comes to this technical stuff... :( I appreciate your help greatly!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:02:24 pm

[Florian Augustin] "But when I logg and transfer the AVCHD files into FCP don't they automatically get converted to a FCP-compatible format?"

Not to FCP's go-to codec, ProRes 422 it doesn't. You have to specify the codec you want. And since I haven't fooled around with AVCHD footage yet, I don't know how to do it.

I bet you could search the forum using the term AVCHD and turn something up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Florian Augustin
on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:44:29 pm

Wow alright! Converting to AIFF solved it! Thanks so much! And fortunately it did convert to ProRes 422 when I logged and transferred the files! I'll keep an eye on that from now on.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Florian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:18:06 pm

Glad to read that it was a simple fix. Even happier to read that you got the video right when ingesting it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]