FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quite nice article summing up whats new in FCP X - looks good to me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Quite nice article summing up whats new in FCP X - looks good to me
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:18:50 am

Now the dust has started to settle I feel quite positive. The basic interface has been kept and lots of things look like they have been fixed (i.e. brought into the 21st century all be it 10 years late). Looks like a major update just shy of a paradigm shift - which is what I think was needed.

There is what looks like a quite nice summing up here - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/12/apple_unveils_new_64_bit_fina....

People will complain that is is too cheap but the same people complained about the internet - basically you cant stop progress. I would rather make my living on the basis that I am good at what I do rather than I am the only one that can afford the tools.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Quite nice article summing up whats new in FCP X - looks good to me
on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:16:51 am

I'd take a look at the screenshots here:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/12/first-screenshots-of-final-cut-pro-x/...

I'm also glad Apple has said 'stay tuned' about the other apps - but I'm assuming they've unbundled them now - good. I probably wouldn't bother with Motion at all if it wasn't included in FCS, I'd use AE all the time. And no one asked me for a DVD in about 2 years....

There's also a couple of (bad) videos here - nicer to see it moving:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ssimmons/story/fcp_x_is_shown_to_the...

I feel more positive after seeing this - the screenshots will only add flames to the 'iMovie Pro' fire - an accusation that just doesn't seem fair. Look at the context sensitive windows and hints of HUDs in these - this is how a modern GUI SHOULD work, not a bunch of windows. Looks smart to me.

I'm not going to be a fanboy and say I'm ecstatic about everything until I've seen a proper demo in use, and I'm going to take it on faith that XML, multiple audio outs etc. as well as compatibility with third party hardware and IS coming (and I won't be switching until it is), but all in all, I'm glad we have a new approach.

I've spent 10 years in a single interface. As scary as a brand new one looks, the only question I want answered is 1) Will it fit my workflow and 2) Will it do it quicker? Whether or not people like the new colours, or think the GUI looks like iMovie is irrelevent - but in the absence of anything else to say, that's all anyone will complain/rave about for now.

Apple would do well to ensure some proper demo videos get onto the web PRONTO. A few hardware companies (AJA, BM especially) announcing immediate plans to be compatible will help - but I really don't think that's a big concern. Apple wouldn't go to any of this trouble for an app that can't leave the desktop.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:35:43 am

The cheap thing - well, really, who is going to NOT buy it now? I wonder though.
1. Is it now so inexpensive that people who have Adobe Creative suite or Avid, won't just pick up FCPX
2. Will this force Adobe/Avid to drop it's price - although I think Adobe just went to subscription.
3. Is this a true representation of price of FCP, if it isn't bundled with all the other apps.

About the "Magnetic" timeline. Great, but Damn it is about time. My previous system (DPs Velocity) had that 9 years ago, and it has been bothering me that FCP didn't just do that automatically.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:51:29 am

The good for me was 64bit and background rendering. Everything else was interesting more than of interest. And I'm left asking the following questions...

Where is the source window? What support does it have multicam? what are the 3d options? Can I still edit to tape? Can I still produce EDLs? Are these new flashy import modes distructable- ie can I remove stabilisation afterwards?

There has been lots of chatter on other forums about whether it is pro not pro or imovie pro etc. the thing is there is a lot of different flavours of pro and it might well be the perfect tool and pay a lot of pros bills, but most of the anouncements make scant difference to my work. I cannot really make a decision until I've used it, but the argument that we have to change our ways is kind of bollocks if the shows we work on dont. If I cannot use it in a 'conventional' way as well as the new bells and whistles way, no matter how 'awesome' it is, I feel I might be doing more Avid jobs...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:11:01 pm

I'm really wondering about 3th party plugins.

Will it support AudioUnits ( including visual representation of the plugin )
Will it Support FXPlug?

Beside this i'm pretty positive aswell.
I just hope it doesn't cut like iMovie. Because the latest iMovie is terrible :P

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:33:45 pm

Firstly thanks for the insight and posts NAB folk.

The biggest question for me are simple "under the hood" fundamentals like a proper render cache management system and a media management system at the least. You can have as much real time playback and background rendering as your like, but artists and plugin developers will always push the envelope on resources and you will always need to render and / or manage your incoming media from other programs like AE in a session.

Did anyone see evidence of an intelligent render cache management system or any clever media management tools?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:43:04 pm

Just a few thoughts. On the iMovie look partly we are saying more is done with the mouse than used to be. Although up to a point keyboard shortcuts are the holy gravel (Avid certainly used to have things that were only available thought them) there are things that it is quickest or easier to do with the mouse. I realised this when I started using Sony Vegas. Basically we have got into a ludite mindset that does not see the potential (in terms of productivity) in fully exploiting a GUI interface.

The question we should be asking is does it allow us to cut as quickly as Lightworks. [tangent] And on the Lightworks front I realised a cool trick it had up its sleeve in terms of keyboard shortcuts (apologies for tangent). You can define any key as a function key. So as well as Alt/Ctl/Apple/Windows…. you can also define a letter as a function key (bear with me). This means that you can set things up so V is a function key to toggle video tracks. So you hold down V and tap 1-9 to toggle video tracked 1-9. I find this a lot easier to remember than Ctl 1-9 CTL is arbitory, V for Video makes sense. [tangent] Anyway back to the main flow.

In terms of 3td party plugins they almost certainly will not work. Not because we are going from 7 to X but because we are going from 32 to 64 bit. At the very lease the vendors will have to recompile the 64bit versions.

Regards,
Ben

--

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:52:08 pm

My only concern now is if I can still input from tape.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:40:54 pm

X has to be a lot of things to a lot of different people. No 2 users are exactly alike. For example, making DVD's is a HUGE part of what we do in my shop, we now ship more DVD dubs than we do tape. And that's a good thing. Our particular customer base is not going to be "cloud based" for some time yet, so we still need to make SD and BluRay HD disks. So BluRay is a concern for me.

I am really glad and excited about a lot of the new realtime features, because having to transcode and render everything just to get started is a huge time suck to our operation, and we were staying away from mpeg4 and AVCHD format aquisition because our NLE couldn't keep up with those codecs. Now, no longer an issue. When clients bring us their AVCHD or MPEG4 stuff they self-shot, it still may not have been shot very well, but we'll be able to make the best out of what they give us, and fast.

We also cut breaking news, so being able to edit even as the source is still ingesting, that's huge for us. I can see a lot of news operations going with x expecially for the low price entry point and the metadata feature that are finally becoming competitive with Avid. Avid's meme was that it is a powerful meta-database first, with an NLE attached to it. There are projects that need exactly that, and there are others that don't. X is now dipping a toe into that world with the new metadata features.

Return to posts index

Darryl David
on May 3, 2011 at 8:43:28 pm

My big thing with this new magnetic timeline is the fact that there are no tracks. We need to be very diligent with our track assignments. Tracks coming and going as needed like Randy said really freaks me out. As well, how are you going to patch tracks? Say you have a clip in the now browser window and you want to put it on v2, for say broll, is fcpx now so intelligent that if you are parked over a clip on v1 it know to place it on v2? if so, great. But still, tracks moving up and down is no good for me.

If I need sync to stay on a1,a2,a3 and a4, music,fx on tracks 6,7,8,9, this worries me. I am sure this feature can be turned off, if Randy just mentioned that I am sure a lot of folks would be at ease.

What about marking in and outs? the range selection that was shown, well, stinks. imovie selection? no way. Randy never dropped anything into the timeline, or even marked in and outs. Everything was precision editor or dragging a selection with the mouse.

I hope to god they haven't moved everything to drag and drop. That is so not efficient. My hope would be that fcpx knows where to put a clip based on tracks being used already.

Fingers crossed!

dedit
freelance editor
toronto

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on May 3, 2011 at 9:01:38 pm

Watch part 1 and 2 of Apple sneak preview linked from http://splicenow.com/2011/04/14/fcpx-2nd-day/. They have not made everything drop and drag and it all looks good. However no point speculating until they actually let the great unwashed get there hands on it.

--

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on May 4, 2011 at 7:44:17 am

He did mention everything can be driven with the Keyboard so that should almost answer your Question. ;)

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:47:04 pm

[Ben Edwards] "I would rather make my living on the basis that I am good at what I do rather than I am the only one that can afford the tools."

This.

JM

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:55:09 pm

You can give anyone a guitar. Doesn't mean music comes out..

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 13, 2011 at 8:42:42 pm

[Paul Jay] "You can give anyone a guitar. Doesn't mean music comes out.."

True.

But if you've ever been in the subway of NYC you've likely seen some awesome guitar players who make next no money.

:)

Return to posts index

Jim Bushee
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:05:24 pm

Thanks for the link. I agree it looks awesome. I'm wondering what Apple is doing about the Studio bundle. We use DVD Studio Pro a lot here and sometimes Soundtrack and Motion come in handy.

Jim @ Video Express

Best Video Duplication in Boston

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:16:52 pm

Apparently Soundtrack is now incorporated into X, I thought I read somewhere. Color is.

The better keyframing right int he timeline may mean some guys who only used Motion to have an easier time moving stuff around a screen for simple moves, might now go back to just working in the GFCP timeline. Myself, I have come to really like Motion 3 and I'm about to get Motion 4 some time this quarter. I could go learn AE I suppose, but my particular needs are wells erved currently by Motion, and so I'm hoping for more Motion, just with added awesome.

I'd also like Motion's and LiveType's Cg to be accessible right inthe timeline with a much easier interface.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:23:26 pm

In terms of Studio hopefully FCP X will integrate with existing programs or they will launch updates very soon. I would imagine the whole of studio would still be expensive - basically they may be trying to get people hooked with FCP and then hopefully people would go for the whole ecosystem.

In some ways the low pricing is quite cunning and may partially be due to them potentially making lots of money on hardware if people switch to Mac. The true cost of an editing system is SW+HW and as Apple provide both they may be able to afford to subsidise the SW.

One question I have is what will the minimum sensible spec be. I know there are quad core laptops out there so maybe it will be quad core.

The other thing I am wondering is how will dual monitor work. I tend to have bins on one monitor and everything else on the 2nd (I have a blackmagic which outputs to CRT video monitor). What would be really cool is to use the Sony Vegas model. It allows panels to be ripped off and put on the second monitor as floating windows (and docked together in tabbed sets).

--

Return to posts index

Garrett Evans
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:31:45 pm

With the magnetic feature...will that impact multi-caming where I have one audio source and switch video against it? Currently you have to disengage the audio and only allow video to switch, but will that override the magnetic feature?

How will 64bit work with Final Cut Server 1.5?

No more transcoding, means larger files or smaller...say with AVCHD vs ProRes?

Holding out for Compressor, DVDSP upgrades...despite advances in delivery, our business model is slowly (emphasis on slowly) moving away from DVD, but not anytime soon.

MacPro OSX 10.6.6 2x2.26 QCIX 10GB 1066MHz DDR3 FCP7.0.3/FCS3
FCSvr1.5 Xsan2.2 DotHill 24TB QlogicSANbox 8GB ATTO 8GB

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:58:21 pm

Questions over Questions,

from the sound of... editing while the source is still ingesting... tells me there is tape ingest. I hope!
I would like to know if there are more then two video tracks. Laying more then 3 tracks and doing some composite effects can be handy.

Two screens is key feature, maybe there is a dual screen layout? undestructible interface??

A Motion would be nice especially since I invested allot of time and money in to Motion. After Effect would have been a better option. But, maybe Apple was smart and finally added Shake's key features! Node, Morphing, better Key and etc...

299 for Final Cut Pro X (lets skip 8 and 9) and 1000 for the Studio. I would buy that.
299 iMovie Pro I mean Final Cut Pro X vs free Lightworks. ;)

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:36:28 pm

[Andree Franks] "I would like to know if there are more then two video tracks."

I think I read somewhere its unlimited tracks.

I'm looking forward to using FCP X.

If they indeed integrated Shake/Motion features that will make me a happy camper. If not, I still have AE when I need it.

What I'm really eager to hear about is dvd studio pro & compressor.
Hopefully they appended Blu-Ray extensions to DVDSP. Even if it could do simple menu's and not go so far as to include Java Menu support I'd be happy.

I do a lot of blu-ray discs, so yes I need it. :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Neish
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:12:04 pm

I'm not on-board with the idea of optical media dying anytime soon. When it comes to movies, there are a lot of folks that want to own a physical product. I for one want highest quality video, special features and a physical backup when I buy a movie.

"Do we really need a new version of DVD Studio? What major features is it missing right now?
-Stuart Simpson"

DVD-SP is a fantastic app, but there is always room for improvement.
- HDMV Blu-ray authoring of course (don't bother with BD-J for now, too much of a rat's nest)
- 64 bit
- High quality integrated smart encoding. My idea for this is, you bring in all your video as QuickTime or links to live FCPX timelines, layout and author your whole disc, then you tag the encoding quality priority of all the videos (main movie feature is "A-quality", menus are B, featurettes and music videos are C, etc. Then you have DVD-SP smartly encode it so that you use every bit possible on the disc putting more bits where they are most important)
- NO MORE GAMMA SHIFTS!
- The ability to drill down to the spec level and tweak the abstraction layer when needed.
- Figure out a way to use fewer GPRMs in the abstraction layer so that we can use them for authoring.
- Proper documentation for the jump relative function. (took me a week to figure that out the first time I needed it.)
- Build upon the jump relative idea and do even more powerful things with it.
- Dump all the pre-made template stuff. That's what iDVD is for. (personal opinion)
- Add support for THX Media Director

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:01:35 pm

Do we really need a new version of DVD Studio? What major features is it missing right now?

-Stuart Simpson
7 MacPros - Kona 3, Kona LH & Kona LHi
1 G5 - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Garrett Evans
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:27:34 pm

I like to see the color fill for buttons or word buttons anti-aliased for one thing. Also, would be nice to easily replace a menu or track without having to re-author links, as long as the new version had all the same linking info (ie. chapters, frames). Often I catch a spelling error and have to re-author from scratch after recompressing the fixed movie.

I could take or leave Blu-Ray authoring...not sure I want to invest a lot of energy into a limited lifespan workflow.

MacPro OSX 10.6.6 2x2.26 QCIX 10GB 1066MHz DDR3 FCP7.0.3/FCS3
FCSvr1.5 Xsan2.2 DotHill 24TB QlogicSANbox 8GB ATTO 8GB

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:55:34 pm

I for one don't believe BluRay is dead. Clouds, FTP, and storage on hard drives aside, I have a niche clientele that will always need physical copies of the Media, and BD makes an excellent self-standing shelf storage medium. It's cheap, highly durable, and you have numerous ways to play it, from game room to board room to news room, and BD players are now in the fifty dollar range in department stores, so there erally isn't an excuse not to have one if you want to play high def from a physical mediaum.

I'm not so interested in very sophisticated authoring of BD, but I want easy to use functionality to make simple recordings with a basic menu, without having to resort to third-party solutions.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:08:13 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I for one don't believe BluRay is dead."

I certainly hope it's not dead! I want to burn at least one before it goes --but dangit, nobody asks for it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
OT: BR
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:55:05 pm

In my country (Spain), everybody have DVD and knows about downloading any kind of stuff from internet, but most people haven't even heard about BR.
They sale movies and players, but the format haven't been seriously promoted not even by SONY.
Seems that the movies supply target mostly Play station users.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Sesenton
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:35:55 pm

I'm a bit confused as to how it's able to "mix and match" footage on the timeline. It seems misleading, so there's no transcoding whatsoever in FCPX? Does this change anything with the ProRes codec?

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Apr 13, 2011 at 8:38:34 pm

"I'm a bit confused as to how it's able to "mix and match" footage on the timeline. It seems misleading, so there's no transcoding whatsoever in FCPX? Does this change anything with the ProRes codec?"

FCP7 already does this, you can mix DV and HDV on the timeline without transcoding or rendering. It just works. Sony Vegas, Adobe Premier (and I think Lightworks and Avid) have been doing this for years.

I guess you can still transcode into ProRes if you want but I am not sure if there is any point (I guess proxy files may still be relevant).

Basically as an editor you simply don't have to worry about it, just import all the footage and start cutting. Apple have done a great job of evangelizing ProRes but it partly existed as apple were behind the field in terms of being able to use modern formats nationally (of course this is not how they spun it).

I think one of the problems is that Apple are so good at marketing when the trouth comes out it can confuse the congregation at the church of apple;). I have come across people who swear blind that FCP is 1000* better than Vegas in every respect when they have never even seen Vagas;). Its kind of odd that apple is always 1000* better, never twice as good;).

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:02:37 pm

Okay okay I just got done watching the demo and I have to say from what I just seen...
I want it! This can speed up the editing/workflow!

ONe thing I would like to know is (looks like it will run on Snow Leopard well was mentioned) will it run on my 3 first Gen Mac Pro's?

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:10:20 am

I would imagine it would need to run on the MacBook and I think your Mac Pro will be at least as powerful so hopefully.

However I think Apple may be hoping to sell new hardware and this may be why it is so cheap. The most powerful MacBook seems to be Quad Intel 2.3 so fingers crossed.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]