FORUMS: list search recent posts

More Ram?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon Bedford
More Ram?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 5:00:17 am

We're having problems which seem like a Ram issue.

Audio gets stuttery, timelines get progressively more out of sync with audio to the point that it is impossible to work. A restart of FCP will fix it but only for a very short period.
We have tried Disk Warrior and Diagnostic check, these have not fixed the problem.
We have recently started editing HD , however we have also been having this problem with HDV projects which we have had no issue with in the past. (The problem is occuring on some old projects.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

The computer shop tells me they need to take it away for a week to find the problem. They're also talking about possibly upgrading the ram, but I was previously told on this forum that upgrading ram would be pointless. (Can someone tell me if this is correct?)

S Bedford, Western Australia
FCP 7.0.3, Mac OSX 10.6.6
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon
6GM 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: More Ram?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 5:03:40 am

Your version of FCP, like all current versions can only use a fraction of the RAM you already have. The problem might not be FCP related. When's the last time you ran a general OS systems cleanup? Have you tried trashing the FCP preference files? AN OS full of bloated cache files etc. can certainly slow down the fastest machine.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
Re: More Ram?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:27:46 am

We have done all of this in an effort to fix the problem, except we didn't actually trash the prefs, we checked them for corruption and found none.
I will trash the prefs, will get back to you when I've given the problem a chance to rear it's ugly head again. Any other ideas in the meantime much appreciated!

Thanks for explaining the Ram usage - could have wasted a lot of money there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]