FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting interlaced video to progressive in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Levitch
converting interlaced video to progressive in FCP
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:53:23 am

So I am working with 1080i 60 footage filmed in ACVHD on a Panasonic hdc tm300. I understand that computer monitors do not display interlaced video correctly but the end goal for this edit is youtube so it needs to be converted to progressive. in its current state the scan lines are so horrible that the footage is nearly unwatchable but only when i export it. In final cut the footage looks crisp and very high quality. I have tried the de interlace filter but you loose so much quality i am really hoping that there is another way to convert it to progressive? help

Return to posts index

Nels Chick
Re: converting interlaced video to progressive in FCP
on Apr 13, 2011 at 5:35:25 am

I've had pretty good luck using Compressor to deinterlace footage. It takes a lot longer, but the quality has been good, as long as you use the best settings on everything (some times you can get away with the second best settings and save some time).

A few things to double check are which fields are dominant in your footage, and which are dominant in your sequence. That's bitten me a few times.

I use a 'blend fields' filter from Too Much Too Soon that works pretty well, but there is noticeable softening to the image.

I hope I've been helpful, interlacing has confounded me for years. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved