FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automated conversion of spreadsheet clip logging data

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pilgrim
Automated conversion of spreadsheet clip logging data
on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:50:21 am

I recently wrote a Python script to import clip logging data that my clients had entered into a Google spreadsheet.

Export the spreadsheet data as a CSV file, do a tiny bit of cleanup in a text editor, and run the script. The script converts the CSV entries into an XML file of an FCP bin containing all the clips, with the Clip Name, Reel, Log Note, Description, Master Comment 1-4, et al columns populated with the data from the spreadsheet. Import the XML into FCP, reconnect the media, and viola, all the logged clips are right there.

Caveats:
(A.) The script is designed for a file-based workflow, as the footage for the current project originated on an EX1. It could theoretically be expanded to include TC IN and OUT for tape-based logging, but I'd leave that up to you.
(B.) It's a command line script with no GUI. If you're comfortable typing something like
python csv2xml.py path/to/loggingdata.csv path/to/mynewbin.xml
in the Terminal, then check out the script: http://johnpilgrim.net/color/csv2xml.html

Feature requests are welcome, but please be circumspect that this is simply a quick in-house workflow tool that I'm sharing, not a commercial product. I will keep working on it as time permits. Better documentation is the first task!

Cheers,
John
SF, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]