FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with audio after capturing HDV to ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Problems with audio after capturing HDV to ProRes
on Apr 12, 2011 at 3:29:35 am

Hi There, I'm having problems capturing HDV to PreRes using FCP 7.03 and my Sony Z1 camera

The problem is whenever I successfully capture footage, FCP links the two audio tracks as a stereo pair and pans one to -1 and the other to 1. Often I have a radio mic on one track and a shotgun mic on the other. I need these tracks to be dual mono.

Having looked over these forums I think this is a bug. If it is not a bug how do I change the settings so that it captures normally. When capturing HDV as prores like this into FCP using log and capture, there is no setting screen, you just capture straight away. How do I change the audio settings given this situation?

If I cannot change this is there a way to change the pan of lots of clips at once in the browser. I just put a load in the time line and can paste attributes to all the clips but it would be better if I could change the original clips in the browser is this possible?

Can anyone suggest a good work around,

All the best and thanks in advance

James Bayliss-Smith

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Problems with audio after capturing HDV to ProRes
on Apr 12, 2011 at 3:54:56 am

No, it's not a bug, it's just the way it is...

If you want to change your clips you can do it in QT Player.

Go to Window>>Show Movie Properties - highlight Sound Track, then click on Audio Settings, and in the Channel Assignment window set channels 1& 2 as mono. Now do a File>>Save and voila, you have a file with two mono channels.

Personally, I think it's easier to change them on the timeline by just using Modify>>Stereo pair and unchecking that, then center panning. One of the great things about monitoring through a mixer is that you can temporarily center pan tracks or mute tracks at will, which allows you to simply edit now, make fixes later.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 12, 2011 at 4:17:26 am

[James Bayliss-Smith] "...whenever I successfully capture footage, FCP links the two audio tracks as a stereo pair and pans one to -1 and the other to 1. Often I have a radio mic on one track and a shotgun mic on the other. I need these tracks to be dual mono..."

On addition to the good Mr. Weiss' advice, here's mine: relax.

You easily can change the pan on each of the audio channels to audio, and and you easily can change the channels to mono. So your big problem isn't that big a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:19:14 am

Thanks for your advice David and Dave,

Sorry to be pedantic but surely when something doesn't do what it should in a program it's bug? Good to know I'm not doing anything wrong. I guess I just have to remember to pan everything before I export. Would be great if I could change all these pans as a batch in Quicktime 7.

Cheers

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:50:49 am

[James Bayliss-Smith] "Would be great if I could change all these pans as a batch in Quicktime 7."

You can. Just change the pan for one clip, copy that clip, then paste the pan attribute to all other clips you desire. Remember to uncheck Modify>>Stereo pair first...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]