FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Camera for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Klaeser
Best Camera for FCP
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:49:11 pm

I have been doing a lot of research into what camera best suits FCP. I currently shoot SD with DSR250's and PD150's but would like to upgrade to a camera that records to some sort of solid state recording format. I would like a camera that is in the $3-$5k range, records both HD and SD (but not simultaneously) and imports easily in FCP 7.0. Any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best Camera for FCP
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:30:22 pm

Yes: ask this same question again on Wednesday morning.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:35:40 pm

FCP Works really well with many different formats from many different cameras.

Panasonic cams are great for shooting HD or SD.

Look into the HPX170 or the brand new HPX250 shooting on P2 Cards.
They shoot:

DV
DV50
DVCPROHD
720p AVCintra 50 &100 on the 250model
Varible frame rate (VFR)
1080i

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:36:38 pm

Why? Are there new camcorders or a new FCP coming out on Wednesday?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:47:58 pm

New FCP. Those in the know -- and this is all they're allowed to say -- report that it's really something.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:49:50 pm

Probably both.
Current fcp works with most tapeless cameras.
I think you shouldnt ask which camera for fcp.
Just Which camera..

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 11, 2011 at 5:16:40 pm

There really isn't a 'best' camera, just a camera that is best for the majority of your work.
It is more important to find the best camera for the type of client you service, or subject matter.
The choice of controls, glass, image sensor, frame rate, format, audio inputs reliability and performance under conditions like yours would be much better criteria.
As far as tapeless, there are some downsides to that workflow depending on what your circumstances are.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on Apr 11, 2011 at 5:23:30 pm

I guess I want to get away from tape based recording so I don't spend so much time loading footage. But, I also don't want to have to transcode every bit of footage that I shoot. Also, my cameras are getting old and would like to replace them in the near future.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2011 at 5:32:57 pm

[Neal Klaeser] "I guess I want to get away from tape based recording so I don't spend so much time loading footage."

Well, here's the conundrum with that: how are you going to ARCHIVE that footage when the project's done?
I'd presume you'd want to keep it, and your editing system probably doesn't have infinite, bulletproof storage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 11, 2011 at 5:41:17 pm

Dave,
"Well, here's the conundrum with that: how are you going to ARCHIVE that footage when the project's done?
I'd presume you'd want to keep it, and your editing system probably doesn't have infinite, bulletproof storage.
"

That is one of the downsides of tapeless. For some folks it doesn't matter because they don't need to save their stuff.
I look at the cost of a archive system, vs the cost and self-archiving aspect of shooting tape and for me shooting tape is a clear winner.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:03:05 pm

That issue had crossed my mind regarding archiving. I am so used to taking the DV/DVCAM tape and putting it on the shelf and relying on it being there and with solid state cards being so expensive. It must be kind of scary recording over the original and if something happens to your external hard drive, your screwed.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:49:31 pm

That issue had crossed my mind regarding archiving. I am so used to taking the DV/DVCAM tape and putting it on the shelf and relying on it being there and with solid state cards being so expensive. It must be kind of scary recording over the original and if something happens to your external hard drive, your screwed.

That is why we use two or more hard drives to back up our work. Not scary at all.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:26:15 am

Ron,
"That is why we use two or more hard drives to back up our work. Not scary at all."

Ron, no disrespect but that is not archiving. That is backing-up, and at best only a short term solution. HD's can die, be damaged, become corrupt, or be stolen. They can also become obsolete.
What do you do when they are full? Pull them and store them somewhere? If you do that, they need to be spun up at least every six months. Every time you do that you risk damage or corruption. A small risk, but it is still there.
While tapes do not have an infinite life, most will be able to sit in proper storage undisturbed for decades and still play back reliably.
A quick look at people that are serious about archiving material like museums, banks and government agencies all use tapes not HD's.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:23:00 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "That is one of the downsides of tapeless. For some folks it doesn't matter because they don't need to save their stuff. I look at the cost of a archive system, vs the cost and self-archiving aspect of shooting tape and for me shooting tape is a clear winner."

Most of our work is motion graphics, so I went the archive route -- as are a lot of shops that use tapeless workflows. An LTO5 tape backup system costs a lot less today than my Beta decks did a few years ago!

I think that Dave was right on in pointing out archive, and I think that Scott's approach is really reasonable -- look at your entire process and consider all your needs, then design an end-to-end workflow that works for you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:58:34 pm

Going tapeless is daunting at first. You get so used to having camera tapes on the shelf for security. Once you get used to tapeless though, it's no biggy.

You copy the raw camera files from the cards to a hard drive. You back it up 2 or 3 times. Redundancy for security. Hard drives are cheap.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Apr 12, 2011 at 12:46:02 am

[Walter Soyka] "Most of our work is motion graphics, so I went the archive route -- as are a lot of shops that use tapeless workflows. An LTO5 tape backup system"

It's ironic that a tapeless workflow still involves a tape :-)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best Camera for FCP (Now: Tape in "Tapeless" Workflows)
on Apr 12, 2011 at 1:07:18 am

[Martin Curtis] "It's ironic that a tapeless workflow still involves a tape :-)"

It's cool -- I do air quotes with my fingers now when I say "tapeless."

In all seriousness, I just don't trust hard drive archives. I don't like having the read mechanism bundled with the storage medium -- too many failure modes. Hard drives just aren't built to sit on shelves for years like tape is.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
Re: Best Camera for FCP (Now: Tape in "Tapeless" Workflows)
on Apr 12, 2011 at 7:25:04 am

[Walter Soyka] " I don't like having the read mechanism bundled with the storage medium"
That's a great summary of the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]